Property Registration and Legal Permit in India

Mansi0
Level 1
Bengaluru, India

Property Registration and Legal Permit in India

Hello all you wonderful hosts in India!

I hope you are having a great time hosting interesting people and shariang exciting experiences!

My question is about legality of hosting a property on Airbnb in India and the permits/registration required to do so. From Airbnb’s website, I understand that hosts are responsible for communicating this with the local government.  I have contacted the Ministry of Tourism office, here in Bangalore, who suggested registration of a property listing for home-stay or bed and breakfasts is not mandatory and establishments can be run without any restriction.

However, after going through the section under Responsible Hosting - Registration of Guests ( https://www.airbnb.co.in/help/responsible-hosting ), I believe the regulations in India require maintaining a register for guest check-in and check-out records. Furthermore, there are certain forms like Form C  and Form F , which property and listing details need to be mentioned. This contradicts the statement by the representative from the Ministry of Tourism and the ambiguity still prevails.

I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experiences and advise on how you have gone about the legality of your listing registration, permits and guest records.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Mansi

131 Replies 131

Hey can you help me on how to apply for Incredible India Bed and Breakfast/ Homestay Scheme. 

I need an investing partner in Bangalore to run the AirBNB  Rentals

contact **

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Hi

Regarding this we can talk on my whatsapp 

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Hi Sachin,

Due to security reasons, I'm unable to view your WhtsApp number. Let me know how I can connect with you. I need guidance on mentioned topic.

Regards,

Prachi.

Hello @Prachi17 ,

I am also facing similar problems as related to hosting my flat. Let me know did you solve your issue.

Hi Meenakshi, I run a wealth management company and invest in hospitality and food business. I would love to understand your requirements.

Here is my number: **

You can contact me at 

How can I list a part of my house in air bnb.      Varghese

[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

hi all,

planning to host a BNB in chennai.Would like to hear your challenges faced ,.

also guide me if I need any special approval from chennai corporation.

will my house come under Commercial property tax ,EB etc.

thanks for your help in advance

I spoke to the Incredible India (Govt of Tourism) and Tamil Nadu Tourism,  they advised that airbnb is different to BNB and it is not mandatory to get permission for airbnb from the Tourism department. Moreover, you are not doing any commercial activity and just letting the property for short term rent through airbnb portal. It also generates huge revenue as GST for the Government of India. I saw cricketer Yuvraj Singh and Aamir Khan being host of their airbnb property. There is a strong misconception that it is a commercial activity and it is not.

Alagesan Chinnasamy

Alagesan Chinnasamy

Thanks for the information that we need no registration for listings homestays in Airbnb.

How about listing in other site like MMT or booking.com where they too have options to list homestays.