Why aren't Airbnb removing bought properties from platform?

Answered!
George-and-Madeline0
Level 2
Lake Munmorah, Australia

Why aren't Airbnb removing bought properties from platform?

Hi.

This is in regards to removing 2 listings: https://tinyurl.com/ydfv7p7l - Vincea's Country Villa 2 and  https://tinyurl.com/y9lzkyao - Vincea's Country Villa.

These two properties were sold earlier this year and the previous owner is refusing to remove them. Airbnb is refusing to do anything about this issue, stating the following that  "as an online platform, they are not privy to the offline agreements we may have made, so they are unable to mediate or assist" ... (what agreements is Airbnb referring to ????

One of the properties, that we've purchased, we've continued using as Airbnb and the other is occupied by a new owner. Why is the previous owner allowed to continue having these listings active, and we, as the new owners are unable to do anything at all to have them removed?

Why does this have to be sooooo difficult ????

1 Best Answer

@George-and-Madeline0 If his keeping the listings up for no reason is hurting your business and livelhood spend the $300 or dollars to have a lawyer send him a Cease and Desist letter with a threat to sue for lose of money due to cancellations caused by his failure to remove the listings in addition to it being flase adverting since he no longer owns the properties. It may get him to thinking about removing them. 

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The previous owner is not making reservations I assume and you are making reservations, right?  How is the active listing a problem?  As it becomes inactive, it will fade on the search function.  You may be concerned for nothing.  To see it from Air BNB perspective, what if the old owner went to Air BNB and stated that you don't own your listing?  Of course, if you believe the actions of the old owner is causing you some demonstrable damage, you could sue that person.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Only the old owner can delete the listing. Why don't you just speak to the person you bought the properties from and ask them to delete them. It will take them 30 seconds.

@Helen3 He states the previous owner refuses to remove them. @George-and-Madeline0 Has previous owner at least blocked out rentals of the places, so no one can book them? I don't understand why they wouldn't deactive them or at least snooze them. Only thing I can think of to explain it is the previous owner is now renting out a new AIrBnB and wants to show those listings in her profile to show her previous ratings to new possible guests to increase her crediblity with them. Nothing else makes any sense. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Letti0 missed that.

It does make no sense, particularly as you can delete the listing and the reviews stay on your profile.

@George-and-Madeline0 why don't the old owners want to delete their listings.

As I have mentioned before, for whatever reason he may have, he just doesn't want to remove them. A few months ago I have asked him to remove those listings, and he said "I'll remove them when I'll feel like it". A few days ago I emailed him again, and he just ignored my email. He didn't bother responding at all. Yes, his calendar is blocked in his listings. The only issue we have, is that it confuses the prospective clients. We've had a few cancellations, as they thought that it is some kind of a scam. 

@George-and-Madeline0 If his keeping the listings up for no reason is hurting your business and livelhood spend the $300 or dollars to have a lawyer send him a Cease and Desist letter with a threat to sue for lose of money due to cancellations caused by his failure to remove the listings in addition to it being flase adverting since he no longer owns the properties. It may get him to thinking about removing them. 

Thanks Letitia. I guess I'll have no other options left, since he decided to ignore all my emails. 

Have tried that a few times. Would probably take him less than 30 seconds, but he's not interested in doing that for whatever reasons he may have.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Perhaps the previous owner has no access to the listing, it could have been with a property manager as the profile is for a Corporate Executive and Property Manager.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/8996221

Not the case. He was the property manager.

Try contacting him through his company's social media then and ask again for him to delete the listing as he is no longer managing the property

Likely he won't want the bad publicity and will delete it.

I was actually thinking about mentioning this situation  in my Airbnb listing, so the prospective clients would know why his listing comes up, plus he'd get free publicity. What do you reckon?

As I said personally I would post of his companies social media and say as it has now been XXX months since he has been managing the property for the previous owner you would appreciate him deleting the listing ASAP. 

I wouldn't give him any free publicity, just mention on your listing, that you have recently taken over the property, but unfortunately the property management company who managed it for the previous owner, won't delete the old listing. And that you just want to reassure guests yours is the correct listing for the property.

Have you also tried Airbnb on Twitter and FB post that the old management company revises to delete the listing and potential guests are getting confused and ask them to contact the management company and ask them to remove it.