A guest requested our house for 1 guest, but when I asked she says it is for 6 adults. Should I accept?

Yi52
Level 1
Bellevue, WA

A guest requested our house for 1 guest, but when I asked she says it is for 6 adults. Should I accept?

I am a brand new host and just listed my beach house this week. I have a request from a women who wants to book for 1 guest. Since my house can sleep 10, I found it strange so I asked how many people will be coming. She first said 5, then she said it would be 6 adults, age between 24 and 32. My listing clearly states on the first sentence that Max 4 adults, as I want to prevent parties. Should I decline her request? I have read so many horror stories on adults guests trash houses. So I worry about this, but she does have four 5.0 star ratings from 4 guests since 2020. Would like to know what you guys think.

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Yi52 if you are in any way concerned then forgoing a small amount of money by cancelling is better than risking a trashed house.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Yi52 

You do not accept more then 4 adults, so you can answer her your listing is not suitable for her needs and ask her to withdraw the booking request.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Yi52  It's probably not her fault, I'll bet she searched for 6A and your listing popped up, despite what you have in the description. the info says: 10 guests, there's no way to specify Adults, Kids, Infants. 

your house is beautiful and I'd be very wary of a group of young, non-homeowners in your space. it's not for New Years is it? 

@Gillian166 Thanks for your reply, it is for a weekend after Thanksgiving in the United States, not for New Years.  Their young age is a concern, she does have very good reviews from 4 previous hosts.  How much should I weight those inputs? 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Yi52 I would have a look at where they stayed previously and see if it matches to your home. 

Either way, if you don't want 6A then don't accept, but this is going to continue happening as there is no way for you limit Adults Vs Children in the search. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Yi52You have an interesting model: 10 guests allowed ($467 regardless how many show up) but only 4 adults allowed, unusual way to discourage parties. I wonder what is worse; 6 hgh-energy kids or a real party of 10 adults. Perhaps giving other ways a chance may serve you well.

Consider charging 'X" after 4 persons, this tends to discourage parties (they love the flat fee places; in this case $467/10 =$47 each). Maybe starting at $450 for 4 and $100 extra per couple after. This will encourage adults vs. children that are oftentimes tougher on places.

On this particular case, the fact they are just 24-32 years old and recently out of college begs the question: how many already own their own nice place to identify with your nice place?

The fact they were already coy on how many are indeed coming (and their age range) is suspect.

Best not think of exceptions (and yes I can think of many also), but of probability.

@Fred13 , thanks so much for your reply! The suggestion of charge x after 4 persons is a great idea! Also is there a way for host to contact previous hosts about their guests? 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Good question.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Yi52  no. you'd have to send an inquiry to book, and then ask.