Getting your listing guest ready

Getting your listing guest ready

9a923de7-1eea-469a-901c-6e5d268ba3b0.jpeg

We decorated the space for our family's needs and tastes because we use it part time. We call our place "mother-in-law" approved. A number of people wrote in our guest book that it felt like being in a home instead of a rental space. Here's some tips:

1. Decorate to please yourself. I have booked sterile (but attractive) Airbnb's and they don't feel comfortable. Just feels like a Residence Inn or an Embassy Suites.  I much prefer the ones that feel like you can sink into a couch and be "at home" temporarily.

2.Don't scrimp on high quality items. They hold up better to abuse and use than low budget stuff. If it's particle board or MDF - you'll eventually be sorry. They break easily and are susceptible to moisture. Go for high quality fabrics and hardwood furniture frames when possible.

3. My secret weapon? Estate Sales from upper income homes/neighborhoods. Shop the ads and look at the photos. If you see something that fits your needs and it's in your budget buy on first day. Designers will be competing to get the best things for their clients. If not, see what is left on the last day of the sale (half-price day). Be first in line (In the U.S. you can put a marker down then go sit in your car).  If the house is packed sometimes things are marked down 75% on the last day since the remains will be sold for pennies on the dollar to liquidators.  Do not forget to poke around in the garage or basement for odds and ends you didn't know you needed until you saw it. Many times you can find things with the tags still on them.

4. Decorate - Put pictures on the wall. Or mirrors. Or clocks. Those things make it feel like a home.

5. Use IKEA or other stores for things that are less important (plates and silverware, for example). Although we found bone china by Mikasa at Costco on clearance for less than IKEA was charging for plastic dishes. We found a full set of Corelle dishes and bowls at a thrift store for $5 total.

6. IKEA has reasonably priced curtains. Use white sheers beneath them - they'll cast brighter light into a room.

7. Keep tinkering. As you find better things, donate what you have been using and trade up.

8. Sheets and towels from Costco have lasted for a long time. When they go on sale we buy multiple back-up sets and put the extras away in case of accidents on existing inventory.  We keep an iron and an ironing board on site because iron the pillow cases to look more crisp after they come out of the dryer. (we hang them in the closet for the next time they are needed.)

9. Games, books, DVD's are helpful. We took over games we liked to play but were not attached to (in case pieces were lost) and supplemented with others we found when thrifting. A number of families left notes about being able to play board games at the dining room table.

10. Whiteboard you can use to greet guests. We write the names and a welcome on the board. Sometimes people erase it and leave us a note of thanks when they check out.

11. Put a patterned rug inside the door to catch muddy boots and shoes.

12. Put security cameras on your front and back door. You'll thank me later.

79 Replies 79

I often find my guest to be more than I'd listed (6) but do not know how to do a reservation modification. Would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Jenny  why is this post stickied to the top? of every page?? 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Oh that's a strange one, thanks for flagging @Gillian166

Wondering if there's maybe some redesign gremlins still working their way out.

I've fixed it now.

Jenny 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Carmen1913
Level 2
Deer Park, WA

I have done almost the exact same things for my guests. One step farther, I have fluffy bath robes for them to use. I also have bottled water & snacks in addition to a variety of Coffee, Teas and Cocoa.  My husband says I am going overboard, but ya know my 5***** reviews tell me this is the approach to take. 

I think of it this way what do I want from a property if I am staying there. I use Facebook Marketplace for my furniture and Big lots or At Home for the linens etc. 

As the old saying goes you treat people the way you want to be treated. 🙂

Carmen R Schoenmaker
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Carmen1913 ,

Nice to hear that the guests take your efforts into consideration while giving you reviews and ratings!

Is there anything specific that the guests absolutely love and never forget to mention in their reviews?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines