Guest Booking for Someone Else

Michael6575
Level 2
Clifton, NJ

Guest Booking for Someone Else

I recently had a guest instant book at my vacation home in New Jersey USA. When I messaged the guest as a courtesy follow up to thank them for booking, they proceeded to tell me that they are not the ones staying. The guest that booked is from New Jersey USA but she disclosed to me who is staying at the vacation house would be 4 of her family members visiting from Florida USA. She provided me their full names and ages.

The person who booked the stay is verified AirBnB guest with a 5 star rating. She is surprising her family members whom are coming in to visit for 2 nights and that is the reason she provided when I asked when didn’t your family member book it themselves? I don’t feel there is any funny business but I am not sure how this works from a liability standpoint where one person is the responsible party for another person staying at house.

Would you allow this? Or would you cancel the reservation? I would welcome thoughts or input on how you would handle this situation?

Thank you in advance

Michael

Air BnB Host

New Jersey USA

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

3rd party bookings are not allowed on Airbnb.

So you have to ask Airbnb if they will support this booking and otherwise they have to cancel it (penaltyfree)

BTW Do not cancel yourself !

@Michael6575

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Would you allow this? Or would you cancel the reservation? I would welcome thoughts or input on how you would handle this situation? [OP]

1. No, If I could I wouldnt allow it. 2. No, I wont cancel but will insist that Airbnb does it, also - inform the guest: " I can't host you, you were not sincere while booking, rules wont allow this etc etc' and then refund her. 3. It depends.

1. Airbnb rules: No 3rd party bookings. (there is only 1 exception, if you are a registered business/ company etc)

2. In practice, many hosts do it without a problem and have good experiences. There are some who say they will never accept 3rd party bookings again.

I am not sure how this works from a liability standpoint where one person is the responsible party for another person staying at house. [OP] From human standpoint - would the person who booked honour responsibilities (?) this goes 50/50, will cover for her family or might deny it. By the rules - once you host 3rd party booking guests, your INSURANCE is void.

If you want to explain this one more time, would be great.

The guest that booked is from New Jersey USA but she disclosed to me who is staying at the vacation house would be 4 of her family members visiting from Florida USA. She provided me their full names and ages. The person who booked the stay is verified AirBnB guest with a 5 star rating. She is surprising her family members whom are coming in to visit for 2 nights and that is the reason she provided when I asked when didn’t your family member book it themselves?

am trying to see where is the surprise Bit. She lives in NJ - family usually stays with us, but if she has no space then we dont surprise people at last minute 'where to stay/ sleep' With Hotels we know what to expect and unless is v. bad we stay without thinking twice, with Airbnb [it can vary million times] people might have strong reactions of dislike if they NOT SEEN it before. They are 'coming to visit' already - how come they have no idea about where would they stay?

I might be wrong but this doesn't seem convincing.

Mike as a Superhost, obviously you know what you are doing, but the fact that you are here with something troubling you; means that you can sense that something might & can go wrong.

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@ MODS,

few things are going wrong here - not only tags. This is not my formatting [it had proper spaces] I did not 'Bold' last paragraph [only word SURPRISE] I did not bold also the part After OP - while I quoted him. Few thing are going awry and maybe your tech team can see to that. Thanks.

PS, i still see the message at the end, in red-bold saying 'invalid HTML has been removed' which has been a troubling feature for a long time.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Bes175 ! We're aware of the error message and the issues with post formatting. I'm on top of it to make sure it gets fixed ASAP. 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen