Leaving alcohol for guests

Answered!
Tina64
Level 3
Seattle, WA

Leaving alcohol for guests

Hi all. 

I've read about several hosts leaving a bottle of wine for guests. While I don't do that, I do leave any alcohol (usually a couple bottles of beer) for the next guest if someone leaves it. I just had a guest leave and I said any suggestions would be welcome. To my surprise, she commented on a bottle of beer that was left in the fridge. She said that if she would have been an irresponsible minor it would have been illegal. That got me thinking....don't regular hotel rooms usually have access to a mini bar? Is it my responsibility to make sure someone is 21+ if there is alcohol in the unit? Does Airbnb have any policy on this? My take is that the person renting my space is responsible for being, well, responsible. Could I get in trouble? Should I be asking if guests are 21+? Or maybe just not leaving the leftover alcohol. I thought I was being generous and don't want to get into trouble. 

Thank you for feedback!

1 Best Answer

You did not actively serve the beer to the guest so you are not liable for their illegal actions.  This is how hotels can leave fully stocked mini bars even when there are minors in the room.  It would be no different if that guest drank that beer and went and punched your neighbor - you are not liable for her assault.  You are not doing anything illegal if you buy beer and leave it in the fridge. Someone under the age of 21 drinking said beer is violating the law.  

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Tina64 Hadn't thought of this before but perhaps it's different for us - we're in Canada, the legal drinking age is 18, and required age to rent on Air BNB is also 18. I guess you would remove the beer if you rented to someone under the age of 21 - but really, I think she was just being completely nitpicky. She was over 21, so what's her problem?

I have not run into an issue with leaving a complementary  bottle of wine. Guests who do not drink request a juice or sparkling water which I am happy to leave in lieu of. I just want their experience to be relaxing and fun! 

They REQUEST a juice or sparkling water? For free? Auuuu....

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Same here in most of Europe that I am familiar with - with coming of age at 18 you are allowed to drink.

So it wouldn't clash with having to be 18 to register with Airbnb.

You did not actively serve the beer to the guest so you are not liable for their illegal actions.  This is how hotels can leave fully stocked mini bars even when there are minors in the room.  It would be no different if that guest drank that beer and went and punched your neighbor - you are not liable for her assault.  You are not doing anything illegal if you buy beer and leave it in the fridge. Someone under the age of 21 drinking said beer is violating the law.  

BTW, one time we asked the host community here to give us feedback on part of our listing profile.  I had a CA host come back with a rant about alcohol.  She said we were making potential guests feel uncomfortable and alienating them because our profile picture has a glass of wine in it and we talk about drinking wine or beer both in our description of ourselves and things guests might like to do when staying with us.  She counseled me at length about how I should remove those things becasue they weren't "appropriate" and people who have alcohol problems might see this as a "trigger" and it would invite unsavory behavior.  Clearly she has a problem with alcohol and felt everyone should accommodate her issues.  Same with your guest.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0  he he he... what about church-wine connection ? People who have alcohol problems might see this as a "trigger" and it would invite unsavory behavior 😄

Just here for the comments at this point. This is too funny 😂 

Thank you! The logic makes sense. 

We have been putting out a nice wine with glasses as a welcome to our guests in Breckenridge.  We have had about 40 rentals the last year and no one has ever complained.  They dont have to drink it and I have never seen it left behind.  I am an executive sommelier usualy have a write up about the wine.  I guess if I get a complaint it will be few and far between.  Ive only gotten one complaint and that is check out at 10:00...maybe cause he drank the whole bottle the night before 🙂

Lilia22
Level 6
Bluffton, SC

I too wondered about my younger guests and alchool. 

More so, what if the guests are now sober after a battle with alchool; I am tempting them!  That one got me wondering quiet a bit.

So I decided to just follow my gutt feeling and leave something behind depending what type of reservation it is and how communication went previous to arrival.

Hope this helps you.

Hmmm

I leave pastries out, would the same apply if they had eating disorders and are in remission?

Full Fat milk vs Skimmed Milk?

David

I initially came here with the same questions but now I’m just here for the comments 😂😂

Amy724
Level 2
Dallas, TX

I am currently running into the same issue. I do a shared space, and live in the entertainment area of the city surrounded by bars. I had a feeling that my current guest was under 21 when she was booked, but Airbnb only lets you know if they are under 25. I have a bar cart out in my living room that is fully stocked and I don't mind if my guests indulge, but I don't know how to restrict that access if they are under 21. When she was checking in, she was holding a fifth of whiskey in her hand. I'm not trying to be the party police, but how can I restrict under age drinking on my property?