Need help checking which language in my listing, please

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Need help checking which language in my listing, please

Hi!

I just logged out of Airbnb, and made a search in my own area, for dates when my guest house is available.

This because I had updated prices and discounts, and wanted to check that everything worked out the way I planned.

I then noticed that even though I had chosen English as preferred language, many of my texts still came up in Swedish.

Even if I choose "Automatically translate descriptions and reviews to English", my texts are still in Swedish.

Previously, I had all my texts written in English only. 

But a few weeks ago, I noticed that I could actually fill in the texts both in Swedish and in English, there were 2 fields for each area.

So I entered also Swedish texts too, and now I have both.

I assumed that guests who had their language setting at Swedish, would then get my Swedish texts, and those who had their setting at English, would get my English texts. And everyone else could choose "Translate", and get the texts "google-translated".

To me it looks like there is a bug here - surely I should be seeing my own English texts when searching "incognito" with the language setting at English?

Could I ask one or two of you to visit my listing, please, and see if you see all texts in English, or many of them in Swedish?

And if in Swedish, do you have the "Translate" function activated?

I wonder if this is what caused my viewings to drop to almost nothing a few weeks ago...

https://airbnb.com/h/trudes-guest-house-stockholm

Svensk text.JPG

8 Replies 8
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello Trude,

I can confirm that your listing is appearing in Swedish even if I put in English as my language choice. See screen just below.  

I had a look at my listing which like you I translated myself in both French and English and all is OK.  So on your listing although the Airbnb headers are in English, everything you have to enter as a host is in Swedish.  To check that my listing is showing up in English, I went to "view my listing" in host mode and changed my language preference to English and it appears in English with my translation.

Capture d’écran 2022-11-23 à 13.22.13.png

Even your title is appearing in Swedish! In the main descriptive of your listing, you will have I imagine entered all the information in Swedish and if you press "modify" against your title, your description etc you have a blank box to enter the information in Swedish (for you), French (for me ) and then below I have another blank box where I was able to translate all my text in English without forgetting to click on save;)  So if you press on modify against your description for example, do you see both texts in the two languages or is just Swedish coming up?  Here is a screen shot of my listing (sorry it's in French as my listing is in France but I'm sure you will know what I mean!

Capture d’écran 2022-11-23 à 13.46.22.png

Hope you get it sorted!

All the best

Joëlle

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Trude0 

You probably mixed up things. On the Swedish (.se) Airbnb website you need to enter text in Swedish, being the default language.

Then you can add an extra language, as described below, by first choosing the one you want.

I guess something went wrong, as you initially created the listing with English text

If you goto section "languages" it should display this :

Swedish (default)

English

If not, something is wrong

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1580

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Thank you both!

I can see what's wrong now - all of my English texts have vanished!!!

I had them in both Swedish and English for a while after I added Swedish - it looked just like for you, Joelle, with the Swedish version first, and the English one next. I remember having the Swedish version on my phone and the English one on my iPad or vice versa, and being able to see them both on my laptop. But now there is only the Swedish version left. 

I have no idea how this happened - but now I know what I'll spend the evening doing... 😞

At first I thought about contacting CS, but then thought better of it. That would really push me over the edge! 

Hello again Trude,

Poor thing having to do it again but glad the problem is sorted without having to contact CS😂 I hope my translation doesn't disappear like yours did😱 so will check that when I reactivate my listing again.

I'd like to wish you a lovely evening but then again...😉

Joëlle

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Ah, it's not too bad... 😅

I'm doing it really quickly now, just so there is something for potential non-Swedish guests to read, without having to Google-translate. Will take some more time over the weekend to fine-tune language and correct typos. 

Yes, it might be a good idea to copy-paste all of your texts into a Word document or something, to have a back-up. 

Hope you have a lovely evening too! 

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

By the way:

I took a look at your listing - it is gorgeous!!!

Love the style/decor of it - will have to find a reason to go to Valbonne now...

That is so nice of you to say Trude, thank you😊  But the apartment is actually located in Cannes!! I live in Valbonne which is a lovely village and worth a visit too!

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

.....and then it happened again.

I added back the English texts, then kept checking daily for a couple of days, that they were still there. Concluded all was OK.

Not so; this morning I discovered that the English texts were gone again, and when searching incognito with language setting English, I can only see Swedish texts in my ad. With English headings.

Quite frustrated about this...

I give up - I will not have Swedish texts anymore, will go back to having only English ones. Then maybe in a couple of days, I'll wake up and see NO text...

If you have 2 languages, please keep an eye on it. I suggest saving all your texts somewhere else, in case you need to re-enter them.