Nightly Rate SNAFU

Deborah175
Level 9
Berkeley, CA

Nightly Rate SNAFU

I somewhat unexpectedly had a woman book for Dec. 23-27. I hadn’t had a chance to block my calendar for those days. But, I thought—why not? I was going out to see my family anyway, and she was doing the same, as her family lives nearby. But today I realized that instead of those days booking at my normal price, which has been my price for years, the nights booked for 50% less ($40/night instead of $80)!!??? I didn’t even see this until today, when (thank god) she canceled. 

I have my listing set for “Smart Pricing” with $80 as the minimum. How on earth could those days, spanning Christmas, have mysteriously gone for half-price??? 

I called Airbnb to try to understand how this could have happened, and the guy clearly couldn’t care less. And—since she canceled—it’s moot now. But how could such a thing happen?? I definitely did not touch my listing settings…

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Deborah175 you may find there is a weekly or monthly price set for your listing that is stupidly low.  We found this when we had a similar problem (and it was around Christmas)

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I figured it out! When my guest canceled her stay, the payout info changed  automatically to 50% of the original price, because canceling during that period gets a 50% refund. So I’m not seeing the original charge; I’m seeing the amount that will be charged due to cancellation. Phew!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

There is a simple solution - do not use Smart Pricing. I tried it once, can be a bit nutty.