Professional photography for new listing best practices?

Answered!
Trung-Dung0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Professional photography for new listing best practices?

I'm planning to use Professional Photography service as suggested by AirBnb here: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/297

But the first step is to set up my listing which requires 5 photos.

I'm planning to upload 5 photos I take myself which won't be great for various reasons

and then get a professional photographer to do the job in ~2 weeks.

Will I get penalized by AirBnb algorithm or confused guests while waiting for the professionally taken photos?

Can I have put my listing into a paused/ unavailable state to do the necessary setup and only open it up when I'm really ready?

P.S.: I did perform a few searches before asking here but apologies for my ignorance since I'm an absolutely beginner here. Your kindness is appreciated 🙏

1 Best Answer
Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Hi, and welcome to the Community Centre!

Most of us hosts use photos that we took ourselves, with our phones. They do just fine, in most cases you don’t need professional photos.

I suggest you take your own photos, include photos of all rooms and of anything relevant. Don’t ”fix” the photos too much, try to portrait your listing as it is - but ensure the natural light is good and the rooms tidy. 

If you later decide to exchange your photos for professional ones, fine. But if your own photos are representative of the space, and guests decide to book, then you should have no issues.

Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Hi, and welcome to the Community Centre!

Most of us hosts use photos that we took ourselves, with our phones. They do just fine, in most cases you don’t need professional photos.

I suggest you take your own photos, include photos of all rooms and of anything relevant. Don’t ”fix” the photos too much, try to portrait your listing as it is - but ensure the natural light is good and the rooms tidy. 

If you later decide to exchange your photos for professional ones, fine. But if your own photos are representative of the space, and guests decide to book, then you should have no issues.

Good luck!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Trung-Dung0 

I would say not to use your phone to take photo's they are not good enough,

If you have a camera or can borrow one would be better,

Im not an expert but I can tell when you have used your phone and obviously depends on the type of phone you have.

Before you go live airbnb will ask you do you want to give a 20% discount on your first 3 bookings it will give you a boost in the search rankings it has worked for us in the past, If you decline that offer you cannot go back to it, It's finished.

I think it's important to get some decent photo's even to start with.

Follow this guy on YT for some really good tips https://youtu.be/uO_X2Tlu-Lo

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Will I get penalized by AirBnb algorithm or confused guests while waiting for the professionally taken photos? [OP]

No.

Can I have put my listing into a paused/ unavailable state to do the necessary setup and only open it up when I'm really ready? [OP]

Yes, if you  want. 

Both replies are valid and they gave you some good advice. 

[A.] D it yourself/ natural lighting

[B.] Use a pro, as photos are v. important.

let me tell you something else...

[1.] Many people do photos themselves, not all manage good natural lighting...If you go this route...try several times, do it 'from 12-4 PM and with best mob. ph. [cam/resolution] you can find.

[2.] Professionals, [from my experience] he/ she will come and might not even take your input at all but go 'formal style as per Airbnb protocol] Camera will be mounted on a tripod, [90cm-120cm] and afterwards you will find out there are no proper angles, it will be a 'child's view' [of course adults dont see things are that level] and maybe even 'too bright' [or filters applied] You might not like them AT ALL.

Furthermore, I discovered [contacted privately - few refused: we dont do properties ] this part is almost like a sub-branch of photography. Not only some might not do it [weddings, parties, portraits etc they do] but even some who accept are not v. good at it.

So either way do not expect perfection

however now that you know the options,

the choice is yours.  Good Luck.