The star rating system

Sharon1304
Level 2
Edgartown, MA

The star rating system

Apparently a 4 star rating is bad. Why do they have 1-5 if 4 is bad?

4 Replies 4
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Why do they have 1-5 if 4 is bad? [OP[

In fact, if a host's account average drops below a 4.8-star rating, then they lose their Superhost status. On top of that, Airbnb could permanently remove a listing if the average drops below a 4.3-star rating! Because of this, receiving a 4-star review is very damaging to a host

Listings with an overall rating of under 4 stars are almost unheard of. This is encouraged by Airbnb who push their hosts to maintain high ratings. With this incentive to keep ratings high, 86% of listings analyzed had a rating of at least 4,5

[from the internet]

When did this new system go into effect,and why is it not more wildly known. I am a host, but I recently stayed at an Airbnb. I gave them 5 stars except for overall- a 4. There were some issues. The hosts completely freaked out about it. Now I understand it better.

But they are not yet Superhosts. Airbnb should remove anything below a 3 in the rating system. What is the point of it? Sharon

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Sharon1304yes one of my predictions of this new review system is that hosts will get lower stars, and we will end up even grumpier about reviews.

When did this new system go into effect,and why is it not more wildly known. I am a host, but I recently stayed at an Airbnb. I gave them 5 stars except for overall- a 4. There were some issues. The hosts completely freaked out about it. Now I understand it better.

But they are not yet Superhosts. They should remove anythinbg below a 3 in the rating system. What is the point of it? Sharon