WHY HAS AIRBNB REMOVED OUR ABILITY TO INCLUDE CRITERIA FOR INSTANT BOOK WITHOUT TELLING US?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

WHY HAS AIRBNB REMOVED OUR ABILITY TO INCLUDE CRITERIA FOR INSTANT BOOK WITHOUT TELLING US?

Checking my listing today, I found as part of the winter release, Airbnb has decided to remove the critieria /questions guests need to answer for those using Instant Book

Previously I had vetting questions guests needed to answer to stay at my listing (I am a home share host so this is important). Importantly if guests didn't answer these questions I had grounds for being able to cancel penalty free under IB.

Now this option has been taken away from hosts.

How can hosts have confidence in the IB process when Airbnb has taken away our ability to vet guests who instant book.

@Stephanie @Catherine Powell @Nick 

19 Replies 19
Louise1097
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The new system for IB relies *entirely* on totally honest host reviews, which are public. We know that many hosts do not review honestly, because such reviews are public. If we are honest, we could be sued. Aircover does not cover us for defamation or libel in reviews (Air told me yesterday). Hosts are mealy-mouthed or avoid, out of fear of consequences often. Often after previous bad experiences posting honest reviews.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Hilary79 @Helen3 @Louise1097 @Debra300 @John5097 and @Gillian166, and thank you for all your feedback on the recent changes to the Instant Book settings!

After reading, collecting and passing on all your comments on those with the product team, I'm pleased to share that the pre-booking message feature will be returned to Instant Booking settings starting today, December 12th. You can find more information about it here, where you can share your thoughts and questions as well should you have any:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-updates/The-Instant-Book-pre-booking-message-feature-is-r...

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's great news - good to hear Airbnb listening @Emilie 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Helen3 😊

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks for update @Emilie 

Still guest shouldn't be able to just use one letter, "G" for a name, no reviews, no stays, and just a phone number that was verified. 

My listing is very popular, so get a lot of first time guest who create an account just to rent my place. This is good example, joined in December, and no stays, etc, and uses one letter for their name.

I don't require much at all but a blank profile with no name is just stressful. I would have made a mental note and very relieved when the stay was over. 

There also would have been zero communication from this guest, or ask if they could check in at 8am. 

Host will be inclined to decline or cancel the reservation. 

There should at least be an option for host to require a first and last name. 

My best option is Request to Book, but concerned that will be removed as well without any notice. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 8.56.00 AM.png