check out procedures

Josh1450
Level 2
Mascoutah, IL

check out procedures

What are your checkout procedures?

I just had a guest complain about mine:

- wash dirty dishes (put away dry, or leave in rack wet).

- strip beds, put linens in washer

- towels in washer

- adjust thermostat

- empty trash

Is that unreasonable?

Thanks,

Josh

35 Replies 35
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Josh1450 I would say yes it is unreasonable and also a bit daft.

It crosses the line for me when you ask people to wash towels and bed linen.

The reason it is a bit daft is that there may be stains on the linen that will 'set' when washed. We ask people not to strip the beds as it is easier to spot and treat stains if the linen is on the bed.

Finally the guest is right to be upset if these tasks are not made clear in the listing rules.

Yes. Agreed. And I feel this topic is well covered. It’s a surprise to me that some hosts aren’t aware that guests hate: surprise extra fees and surprise extra checkout chores. 

in addition to being aware of this hospo business we are in, there’s also the practical points made here. If you ask guests to wash your sheets they might wash in the stain, and they’ll do a half-arshed clean of your dishes too. You can’t possibly trust them. This stuff seems like common sense to me. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

We ask our guests to do -zero-. In this way we know everything be washed and clean our way.

Your exit requirements won't work because they will done too inconsistent by different guests.

@Fred13 100% agree. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Josh1450 

I dont want my guest doing anything especially my laundry we had some idiot a while ago wash some towels all the white towels turned pink,

I even make a point of telling them the washing machine is for your use only, do not do our laundry,

I can see if any stains on them plus I like to iron our bedding.

As for all the pots and pans a guest only half cleans them we have to check all the time,

We had a guest once boil their noodles in the kettle, I had to throw that away couldn't get rid of the smell, a guest wouldn't clean the toaster but my cleaner will.

Here we have a rice cooker guest will use it but never clean it often it's half full of rice,

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Josh1450,

There are many hosts who don't agree with me, but I believe that checkout instructions should be reflective of the type and location of the rental, price point, and duration of stay. 

We have in the listing description, house rules and greeting message that guests are expected to clean up after themselves during their stay.  We don't charge a cleaning fee, and provide all of the cleaning utensils and products for them to use.

At checkout we do ask our guests to remove food and liquids from dishes and cookware, and put their hand washed dishes in the dish rack, or leave the unwashed dishes in the dishwasher.  We clean everything after each stay, but we are don't want to attract bugs and vermin before we can start the turnover.

We ask guests to dispose of their rubbish in the kitchen and bathroom bins.  If the guest had a long-term stay, we ask them to place their rubbish in the outdoor bin, because they tend to have a several bags to dispose. 

We ask guests not to remove bed linen and to leave their used towels hanging on the bathroom racks/hooks.  We want to inspect for stain and damage, or prevent a mildew smell with wet items left in a closed washer.

We do ask them to turn off the AC/heater, but have installed thermostats that we can control remotely.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Josh1450   This is my check-out list for my guests.  I DO NOT ask them to do any laundry.  

All bedroom linens may be left on the beds, towels may be left in the bathroom.
Clear kitchen sink of all pots and pans, load and run the dishwasher.
Empty refrigerator; leave non-perishable donation items on counter.
Take out all kitchen and other trash to the garbage cans under the deck in basement.
Clean up all pet refuse in yard.
Cover Hot Tub.
Close and lock all doors and windows.
Turn Heat to 60° F in winter; Air-conditioner to 78° F in summer.

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

@Josh1450 

Yes.  As a guest I wouldn't want to strip the bed or do the laundry on checkout. As a host, I ask guests not to do this. They are to clear the counter of food stuff (to avoid ants), place used dishes in the sink, properly bag their garbage, turn off lights, etc. (we'll take care of everything else when they leave.

@Sudsrung0 - boil noodles in the kettle?  🤫🤧

@Flavia202 

That was not a joke, serious I had to throw it away good job we spotted it before the next guest, 

My sister used to work in hotels @Flavia202 . She never uses the electric kettles in hotels. Why? Because more often than not they caught guests boiling their undies in the kettle...

That's why I have free access to my washing machine....

@Mariann4 

Yuk! I just by habit wash out the electric kettle when I use hotels but I'm grossed out that anyone would boil their undies in a kettle of all things.

@Flavia202 YUCK is right! Double yuck, triple yuck—OMG, there are not enough yucks 😖

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mariann4 

WHY????!!!

Why would anyone do that? I've never heard of anyone boiling their undies at all, in a kettle or otherwise. Surely this can't be a regular thing...

People are gross @Huma0 🤷‍♀️ 

I had a conversation with her about anything and nothing and mentioned the noodles in the kettle (years ago and not Airbnb related, I've heard about it plenty of times). And she was: let me tell you something about kettles....

I would use the sink and running water. But appearantly that's not for everyone...

I open my kettles after every guests because of this. Not that I would be able to spot if they have had undies in. But at least noodles... Which would be odd in a house with a full kitchen.