Broken kettle and CD player

Claire185
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Broken kettle and CD player

Dear all

I let my flat out for a week using Air BnB this half term for the first time. The little family staying left the flat tidy but they have broken my son's CD player (by completely pulling the plug lead out so that there is a lump of plastic casing missing on the back and no connection inside) and also broken the kettle (from not closing the lid properly so boiling it too long and causing the electric to fuse in the kitchen and bathrooms). I have not been an Air BnB host before, so I wonder what the protocol is. Is it ok to ask them to pay towards the cost of replacements? Or is that supposed to be part of the risk?Thanks for any advice/tips. Claire

6 Replies 6
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You can request the amount through the Resolution Center.

Gary-And-Rose0
Level 7
Chemainus, Canada

Always ask for a damage deposit. This will be held by Airbnb in the event something like this occurs. I take pictures of my entire place so if anything missing or broken I will have a before and after to present to Airbnb for compensation. Process should be quicker if a damage deposit is held. 

Actually the deposit is meaningless since Airbnb does not actually keep a deposit (we learnt this after we had an incident and wanted to call on the deposit).  Airbnb has limited leverage in getting you the money if the guest refuses!

You can first go to the family and voice your concerns and ask for them to pay and replace the items. They might be fearful of a bad review and comply with no fuss. If not, then I would say contact Airbnb through the resolution center. At least you have a copy of coorispondsnce wig the guests to show to the resolution center. Make sure you have pictures and proof if you do use them. Always make sure your back is covered. Hope it works out. 

FYI- Resolution center has to be filed with 48 hrs!

Sarah273
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I have experienced major damage and potentially dangerous guest experience, with absolutely no support from air bnb customer services. Conversely when my heating broke and I had to cancel a guest I was penalised by 70.   The system seems to be, the money is there but with a risk and you need to vet the visitors.

finally, a recent travel experience left me without a house for the night. I was compensated by only 50 even though I had to pay out an additional 200. Moral of the story? Risky, maybe worth it