Deposit

Deposit

I am new to hosting. Could somebody please advise whether a Deposit is collected to secure a booking or do u just receive a payout in one lump sum once guests have moved in. I can't find it listed anywhere on the website. Thanks everyone
12 Replies 12
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sue-And-Darryl0 Hi, there is plenty of information on security deposits available. You should read up on what they are for and how to claim.

In brief, the security deposit is not collected by AirBnB at payment time - it is merely an agreement by the guest to pay up to a certain amount in the event of damage (proven, etc).

@Gerry0 and rashid

@Gerry0 And Rashid wrote:

it is merely an agreement by the guest to pay up to a certain amount in the event of damage (proven, etc).

What if damage is less of the deposit?

And what if it's more ?

Like, deposit is 100€ and damage is 50€ or 150€

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Information can easily be found by searching the Help Center. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Sue-And-Darryl0  a guest pays in full up front. Airbnb starts the payout process to you, the host, approx 24 hours after the guest checks in.

Mitzi3
Level 1
Melbourne, FL

how do i verify the .01 deposit they send to bank acct?

My guest wants to know if they can pay a deposit then pay the balance before they arrive, as they do not want to pay the full amount immediatly when they book. How do they do that? Thanks

Hi did you get an answer, dont think so. I have the same issue. These people are elderly and are living on their pension. They want to pay half now and half later. I wonder if that can be done?

@Gloria53

They could book half the days now and half later.

David
Beverley20
Level 1
Ramsgate, United Kingdom

It's so unclear as are lots of things on this site. So the deposit isn't collected at payment but the payment is even if its months in advance and is held by air bnb accruing interest? Clever. But how can one be assured of payment for damage if the deposit is not collected; the guest can just disappear!

B.H

@Beverley20

Happens, cancel the account and the CC and disappear.

David
Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Sue-And-Darryl0  A lot of posts have asked if guests can pay a deposit when booking and pay the rest later.  I have only just noticed (when I was looking at  booking somewhere for one week) that there is sometimes an Airbnb message under the booking total:

Book this for £x; Pay the rest later.

If you click the link it says:

'Pay less upfront:
When you use a credit card or PayPal to book an eligible reservation, you’ll have the option to pay part of the total now, and the remaining amount closer to the check-in date.  You won’t be charged additional fees for choosing this option.'
How recent is this change?  Does anyone know what sort of bookings it applies to?  Airbnb didn't tell us about it.  This would be a useful selling point for Hosts to offer their guests.  (Apologies if this has already been the subject of a post; it's difficult to search the forum as most of the searches for 'deposit' refer to 'security deposit).

News to me.

David