Guest checked out early/Review

Dawn102
Level 1
Austin, TX

Guest checked out early/Review

Hello. I have a bit of hosting experience in the past, which went really smooth. But I recently published a new listing and just hosted my second guest. He was very pleasant but decided to check out two days early when an in-town friend offered him a place for the rest of his visit. He never told me in person (he was renting a room in my place) but emailed me at 11pm and left before I got up the next morning. I got the email at work. He made the formal request through the website, and I accepted and gave him the refund. I have a flexible cancellation policy right now. But I'm wondering if I should mention any of this in his review. It was upsetting that I was out two nights rent and that he avoided speaking to me about it. He's young and quiet and was probably shy about it... On my last visit as a guest, I cut my stay a night early, which I generally have a policy of not doing (I was visiting family during the holidays, schedules kept changing, and I was just ready to get out of town). My host mentioned it in my review, which was a bummer but felt deserved enough and can go far in setting a guest straight in the future! I also didn't request a refund. My guest has left me a review, which I haven't seen yet. It's more than the first guest did, who burned me out of a review entirely. So I'm grateful he's left me my first one, but I want to be honest, too. Any opinions? Early checkouts have to happen often enough.  Thanks! Dawn

4 Replies 4
Robin154
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

Dawn,

I have had two guests check out a day early. They did not ask for refund but I called Airbnb to check if I would have to refund and Airbnb said NO.

I have a flexible cancelation policy but that pertains to cancelling Before arriving at your home.

Thanks, Robin. I gave him the refund. I didn't want to be a jerk!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Dawn102

If I were you I would write a public review that xx is a quiet and nice, left the apartment clean etc... and would not mention his early check out

Guest has every right to check out whenever he is pleased, you can not force him to stay. The good thing is - he did inform you , he could leave without telling you or leave the door and windows wide open on rainy day but he did not.. this things also happens as you can read here on forum 😞

I am awake until 1 am and I have my phone next to my bed and check all messages every morning as soon as I wake up, so I would receive his message at time. It was your choice not to check messages earlier (I don't want to blame you but it's the fact) 

And he has a right to cancel and ask for a refund and you gave it to him . You can not blame him for that either. 

But, dear Dawn... after reading few hundreds posts here we are not upset over such things any more. We are happy if our guests close all windows and lock the door and leave our keys after they check out. We are happy if they don't steal or break anything. We are happy if they don't throw a party and trash our place 🙂 So, keep kalm, life is great, happy hosting etc.. etc... 😉

Thanks for your thoughts!