Language barrier

Language barrier

My rental is in Mexico where I live parttime. I assume I may have renters from inside Mexico and although I speak some Spanish, I am certainly not fluent. Also, when I get messages from Air bnb in Spanish, I my not understand. Anyone else have this problem? I am new.

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ellen102

Airbnb have a translation function on their site that you can use.

You can also have a co-host, so perhaps consider having a co-host who speaks the local language who can help with these bookings but also help liaise with any local suppliers such as cleaners and handy people who might want to employ.

Hello I'm a newbie.....

Really having issues with the Spanish/English issue too....

My condo [Personal information hidden] is in English although my guests will mainly be from Mexico.  

If I understand correctly, if someone looks at my listing in Mexico and uses Spanish as their language choice, EVERYTHING that I put into listing description etc is STILL in English!  Only the vegbiage from AirBnb changes to Spanish.....how do they (Mexican Nationals that only speak Spanish) translate?  Do they have to go the extra step using Google Translate?

Again, I believe if I get an inquiry in Spanish I can tranlate that to English....I do have a fluent co-host my wife who is fluent in Spanish but we are TOTALLY lost re: how to co - host can't seem to find a guide explaining who responds and if one did does the other know?

Maybe there are webinars or guides but I haven't found them yet.

My best to you all....

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Ellen102, go to your photo in the top corner of your dashboard screen. In the dropdown there, click Edit Profile. Scroll down until you see Preferred Language. Set that to English. 

That will make the messages from Airbnb itself arrive in English. Your guests will still write in Spanish, but you can use google translate for that. It is not perfect, but will help.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ellen102 

google translate is helpful

Except It doesn’t seem to be possible to copy and paste a booking inquiry message!  I am having the same issue with potential Dutch guests that have sent me a booking inquiry message and have no idea how to translate it. No option on the page to translate and can’t copy it.

I will try the ‘preferred language setting’ on dashboard like a user suggested above