Local short-term rental laws

Shirley9
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Local short-term rental laws

I think there are a few threads on this but I am a little concerned about potentially breaching the SF short-term rental laws and getting fined.  Originally I thought it was just the need to obtain a short-term rental registration number from the SF city government, which allows the city government to levy taxes on those rental income (which I believe is taken care of by Airbnb tax remittance to the city of SF, so it is not essential to register).  But after reading this, it seems that are more restrictions on short-term rental than I thought I knew.  

http://sfist.com/2015/10/01/short_term_rental_law_violators_got.php

Is anyone in the same situation and have more experience with Airbnb in SF?  Also, for those outside of SF, I suggest you look into your local laws and regulations to make sure you are compliant - getting fined $77k is unpleasant!

Shirley

13 Replies 13
Milyoung0
Level 1
New York, NY

I've just been served with a violation bearing a fine for renting my property in Southold, New York for the weekend. They are policing the town's new policy requiring a min 14 day rental that went into effect less than 6 months ago.

What is frustrating is that this is a second home and when we bought it, there were no such laws in effect and we knew we would be counting on rental income to make the finances work. Though the town of Southold is lovely, a nice summer spot at the end of Long Island, very few people choose to rent for 14 days. I have a lot of 7 day rental requests. Who has two weeks of vacation to blow all at 1 time in 1 place?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hello, 

I have a listing for my house in Irvine for past 10 months.

I  just received a letter from my HOA regarding violation on nightly rental of my place. I have a hearing on May 10th. Since then I change my listing to 30 days minimum so I am fully compliant!

I just received a letter from Sr. Code Enforcer of City of Irvine that I have violated same rule but they called it Vacation rental and no mention of nightly rental or Short term rental.  He has scheduled a visit to my house on May 18th, I have to reschedule it as I will be out of town for few days.

I am hoping Vacation rental refers to 30 days and minimum and I then will be fully compliant with Irvine too, wouldn't I? 

That's it folks, Any feedback or input would be appreciated?

I just read an article saying that Atlanta has some of the strictest short term rental laws around but calling the city zoning office got me nowhere. None of the people I spoke with knew what I was talking about. It's got me on edge but at the same time Atlanta has hundreds of listings here.  Is anyone here familiar with the laws in Atlanta?

Hi, John,

I am new host based out of Atlanta as well and have been searching everywhere for the local short term rental laws to little avail. If I come across anything, I'll circle back with you.

Kiara

Have you found anything?

I have been looking into this and can't find a thing.  I know the city workers more than likely will not know.  Please share anything that might be helpful.

I read the RStreet report too, mentioning the STR conditions in Atlanta. Iam looking for more informations and thinking about getting in contact to the article's author.

Hi Amir, 

Fellow host here. I also received a fine recently, but no hearing.  May I know how your vacation rental status somehow still got you in hot water?

Thank you, 

YC

Mary548
Level 1
Port Jefferson Station, NY

How did it work out with your violation and fine?  We just got a letter from Southold town saying they are in receipt of a complaint regarding our AirBnB operation: we cancelled our guests, and found a  long term tenant and we're sad about it--we can't use the house, and we had fun hosting, though it was a LOT of work,  and less money,compared to the sort of set-it-and-forget it you can do with a year-round renter.   But we will miss Southold, even if we were only there for the cleaning/guest prep.

John917
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I'm trying to airbnb multiple buckhead condos. Someone told me if the condos are FHA approved it's a no go. I was wondering what were the fines that anyone receieved in atlanta. Also is there a terms and agreement that explains what you can and can't do?

Tenney0
Level 2
Toowoomba, Australia

Toowoomba Queensland Australia, I was sent a letter from our local council telling me that I was using my property unlawfully and have to apply for a permit to use it as a homestay.   When you own a property it seems you can't use it for short term accommodation unless you have 'planning permission' for a Material Change of Use.  The application costs quite a bit, plus if you engage the services of a town planner and a lawyer plus we had to get new plans drawn up.  Very stressful and costly.  The letters are going out to the Toowoomba and Darling Downs short term accommodation owners who are listed on booking websites.  The rule came into place 2 years after we had set up our business but we have been advised that ignorance of the law is no excuse and it is the owner's responsibility to remain compliant so after more research on what we might not be doing to comply we have discovered that we now have to put smoke alarms in just about every room except the toilet and the laundry, another expense but at least I can see the need for that.    

Camille207
Level 2
Tulsa, OK

This week I spend an afternoon at a Tulsa Ok planning commission meeting because they were discussing changing the law regarding short term rentals in Tulsa. If this happens for you, always take the stats with you. The one thing that kept us in business is that there were 40,000 visitors to Tulsa last year who stayed in short term rental properties and Tulsa did not experience a upshoot in crime like many people want to quote. It was a big win! For us, we have over 300 listings and only 16 had the newly required permit.  However, they had no one to enforce the permit, so most of us hadn't run to get it! I am glad because as someone who lives in my home, I am not required to have one now in Tulsa OK! Don't be afraid to attend these meetings when they come up in your community, they need to hear from local homeowners, business owners, and great hosts! 

Hi Camille, I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering if you had an update on the shot-term rental regulations in Tulsa since your comment? I am having a hard time finding definitive answers online and have already contacted the City of Tulsa and the chamber of commerce, both entities were unable to provide any information to me. Any insights you could offer would be so appreciated. Thank you, Jen

Brad804
Level 1
Duncan, SC

I am looking to buy my first AirBNB in Pendleton, SC and would like some insight of the local laws and what is needed to stay within the laws but be successful at hosting. Any opinions would be helpful! Thank you!