3 star on location. Maps provided

3 star on location. Maps provided

I've received a negative review from a guest regarding location.

I was given the three stars by a gas who stay here when I asked her why she told me it was because of the train at noise at night.

I make it known to all guests that you living next to a train it is on our listing up to 5 times. 

Letting people know that is walking distance to a train station they may hear some train noise and they may hear some train noise at night.

I don't believe my gas read our listing correctly.

As it is unusual to be disturbed by train noise and why would you book a place near a train station and not expect any train noise...

Regardless of the reasoning I've asked Airbnb support to delete her 3 Star review from the perspective of she didn't read the listing correctly.

And they are refusing to do so as it doesn't say in their policy.

I have noticed that hoster treated very poorly by the Airbnb support. 

Always friendly I won't just you that everyone is always lovely to talk to but I don't feel protected as a host and there's not enough done for hosts.

I'm now forced to wear a 3 star rating dropping my entire rating 24.6 because this woman booked a place next to a train station and has a problem with trains.... Crazy

** personal conversation hidden ** 

10 Replies 10
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Laura5425

I'm sorry to hear you've run into some issues with a guest and their experience during their stay. I understand where you're coming from, and I wanted to let you know that we continually share with the team all the feedback you and other Hosts share here on the Community Center!

I hope everything will go well with your next stays and guests. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Louise1073
Level 6
San Diego, CA

Hey @Laura5425 sorry to hear about that experience. I just looked at your profile to see this person’s review and I think your response was great and very professional. 
Not sure if the review can be fixed but if I was a guest looking at your listing this would not concern me at all.

wish you the best of luck and many 5* reviews to make up for this one!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura5425,

I have learned that location is subjective, and not to be concerned about its rating.  I've had guests say my places are ideally located just a short distance from the main tourism activities, and others who claim that it's too far.  We state in our listing description that the guesthouse is located in the Beasejour hills, is on a hillside, the driveway has a steep slope and provide pictures.  Yet we have guests groan about the hilly terrain (the majority of the island has hills) or distance to XX.  When I ask them if they read the description before booking, some have said, "Yes, but it looks flatter or closer on Google maps".  So, these people chose to disregard factual information, and then blame the host/property for not meeting their imaginary expectations.

Photos of the Beausejour neighborhood from the guesthouse balconies.  Not only are the several homes in the hills, the tree tops are in the lower portion of the pictures.  Indicating that the location is elevated.

Debra300_2-1651180430498.jpeg

Debra300_3-1651180442349.jpeg

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I make sure my guests confirm via Airbnb messaging that they have read information about my neighbourhood and know it's an inner city area @Laura5425 

Do you provide ear plugs??

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura5425 

Unfortunately, it's my experience that many guests do not read the listing properly, or even read it at all. A lot of them just look at the photos and the price and decide based on that. Or they read selectively and just ignore parts of it. One would think that mentioning something FIVE times on the listing would be enough, but it's not if the guest doesn't read the listing in the first place. Also, some people don't have any common sense. You really need to spell things out for them.

So, quite some time ago, I started insisting that all guests confirm to me they have read the FULL listing and house rules (and agree to the latter). I remind them to click on the relevant links to see it all because most won't do this on their own initiative.

Even this wasn't enough. Guests would confirm that they had read everything but then ask a question or make a comment that made it really clear that they really hadn't read it. So, I put an 'Easter egg' question in my extended house rules. It's pretty obvious now that, when guests claim to have read them but don't answer that question, they are not telling the truth! I simply won't accept a booking until they answer the question. 

On top of that, I mention certain important points in a message to them before they book, e.g. this room is at the top of the house and there are X flights of stairs, or this room faces a busy road so there is noise from traffic and it's not suitable for light sleepers. These are all things mentioned in the listing, but I found in the past that that was not enough.

It's not just that a lot of guests won't read it, but some will read it and still think that it's okay to mark you down in the ratings for something clearly stated. Honestly, I've had guests give me the most stupid explanations for low ratings, e.g.:

- "Listing was very detailed and accurate, but might not be for guests who don't read it." = marked down on accuracy.

- "I already knew when I booked that in the UK you call this the 3rd floor, but you should list it in American terms for American guests." (As if I only host Americans!) = marked down on accuracy.

- "There were two flights of stairs, which we didn't have a problem with, but other people might." BTW, the stairs are not only mentioned on the listing but shown in the photos. Still = marked down on accuracy.

And on and on. I've even had a guest write in the review that something important wasn't mentioned on the listing when it was mentioned there twice and also three times in messages to her before she came. When I pointed this out, she admitted that she hadn't read the full listing, but refused to remove the review because, she said, "Who are you to question my opinion of accuracy? It's my review, not yours."

Seems like common sense isn't so common after all.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

"I already knew when I booked that in the UK you call this the 3rd floor, but you should list it in American terms for American guests." 

Although I am also an American, this was classic, LOL!! Did she also tell you that you should list all distance and measurements in Imperial?  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

No, but she did complain that the walk to the underground station was "extremely strenuous". It's 0.3 miles on a totally flat road. It takes me five minutes and I am an average height, middle aged woman. This was a tall, 22-year-old girl. She was simply unfit, hence the complaints about the stairs, even though they were also mentioned on the listing.

Anyway, since then, I have written 0.3 miles (rather than six minutes, which is what Google estimates for an average walking speed) in the description, just for anyone who feels that is too far. I have also mentioned that it is the 4th floor for Americans, but that just confuses some people. They sometimes think that I only let Americans stay on the 4th floor!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

"They sometimes think that I only let Americans stay on the 4th floor!"

Wow, these folks really were being thick (that means dim witted, for my fellow Americans).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Well, I though the first one was just being thick, but when it happened again, I decided to change the wording to try to make it clearer...

Can you imagine if I confined Americans to the top floor? Such a bizarre interpretation!

Yvonne735
Level 4
Kinlochleven, United Kingdom

I am sorry this has happened. After she left a review did you reply, as you have that available under her public review, to leave an equally public review stating that it is mentioned 5 times that you are near a train line. 

Maybe mention it in the pre-emptive message that is sent everytime someone books instantly , or makes an enquiry. 

Personally I think it is madness that a guest can mark on location , when it is the guest picking the location in the 1st place.