Advice

Stephanie-And-Chris1
Level 2
Savegre de Aguirre, Costa Rica

Advice

Hello community,

I am new to hosting and have a situation I am not sure on how to handle best. 

I had a guest reserve 3 nights at 5pm for same day checkin for 2 guests and stated she’d be here at 6-8pm. We reached out multiple times(calling and messaging) and didn’t hear back until 10pm that she wasn’t coming that night. Which was frustrating as we stayed up waiting for her and even went next door to talk to a security guard about a guest maybe coming in late… She stated it was a “mistake” and wanted a refund for that day… being new I was mindful maybe something happened and that’s why she couldn’t make it so I spent time contacting Airbnb to fix it.. Next day she arrives she showed up with an additional guest, which we normally charge for but instead we accommodated the extra guest for no charge… She tells me later that she was headed our way and decided to just stay somewhere for the night after having a fun night.. after checkout she ended up leaving to go boxes of food on the counters, bag of chips shoved in between the sink and wall in the bathroom, water bottles and trash bag on the floor, with a soaking coconut on our wooden tables outside & a broken umbrella. She told my husband that her kid just picked it up and it broke.. she said it was cheap and didn’t offer to pay for it or apologize or anything. My problem is I am new and don’t know how to leave a review but be honest. I feel taken advantage of and lied to for several things. She was nice and her kids seemed well behaved but I also feel like other host should know. 

7 Replies 7
Kevin2205
Level 1
St. Paul, Canada

Be positive. For example.

Our mission as Hosts is to o make sure the guests are being pampered and taken cared of, and provide top quality cleaning with guests who possess a lack of cleanliness. Further poor communication with guest itinerary makes our job harder, however we strive to accommodate guests. Unfortunately some guests need to review the house rules of which we try to be clear. A lack of responsibility when items are damaged is handlers with professional behaviour towards the guests. After expressing our concerns we are not always able to arrive at a resolution with the guest. As a result of inadequate behaviour,, we have turned to Air BNB with some guest issues and are waiting for a solution. The mentioned situations were unfortunately realized with this guest. We do not wish to cloud our excellent experience with the majority of our past guest, and for that reason we unfortunately would not wish to Host this guest in the near future.

Sorry a few typos and auto corrects. But form it in your own words.

Just keep positive and ensure hosts understand you did what you could to be a gracious hosts but in this case it did not seem to be repaid 

Be clear in house rules about conduct and behavior, children/ no children, and your cancellation fee is set. You can "report a problem" after they check out and request money for the damage.  Airbnb becomes involved if the guest refuses to cooperate. You will do other hosts a favor if you give an accurate review. Cheers

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

X was a pleasant guest with a lovely family. Communication was incomplete, cleanup took longer than usual and there was a small but unresolved breakage. We would/would not host again.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Stephanie-And-Chris1  She greatly inconvenienced you by jerking you around with her check-in, then never showed up, or cancelled but still wanted a refund.  Then, she showed up with an extra guest, left the place a disgusting mess, broke things and didn't apologize.  Doesn't sound too nice to me, more like selfish and irresponsible.

I would say something like .....'XX seemed to be a nice and pleasant person [or something else positive], however there were challenges with communication, following house rules and significant extra time was needed for cleaning. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Stephanie-And-Chris1 

I would mention the late cancellation and her neglect in not notifying you in a timely manner that her plans had changed, then a refund demand.

Hotels charging double your price would not do this.

I wouldn’t host this person.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Not recommended due to poor communication, irresponsibility, and mess and damage left behind.