Any thoughts on a Tri-bunk bed?

Vee274
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Any thoughts on a Tri-bunk bed?

Hi, I have a two bedroom apartment. Which currently sleeps 4.. I have had enquiries for 5 sleeper. What are your thoughts on having a tri bunk, I.e. double at the bottom and single on top…

any thoughts?

5 Replies 5
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

One of your reviews said perfect for three, small place. Is there anything to gain with 5 guests, or will they rate you low saying it was too s mall for 5?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Vee274   From the  pictures and description of the second bedroom, it is small, with the double bed pushed up against the wall.  A single over double bunk bed would block the window and probably make the room seem smaller, unless you are catering to couples with children.  Who is your ideal guest?

I have also had people request 5 for my small 2 bedroom cabin.  I would never put in an over under as I prefer to attract 2 couples, and bunk beds are (IMO) a nightmare to make up with linens.  I won't even go to a sleeper sofa as the cabin is ideal for 4 and crowded for 5+.

Vee274
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Thanks @Sandra126 @Lorna170 

the current bed in that room is a queen so the room does seem small. 
I’m still feeling my way into who my ideal guests are since I’m new in the area.. the 5bed requests were with family’s with two kids and their nanny. I guess you are right in that I would not gain much more per booking , but thought I would gain more enquiries. @Sandra126 , it is definitely suitable for at least 4 guests .. but rather 4 happy guests than a bad review 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Vee274  I wouldn't do it, sometimes guests will make a recommendation for something that is really specific to their personal needs.  We have a full/double bed in our small bedroom, and 1 guest thought we should put in two twin beds instead...but since our guests are either 2 couples or 1 couple with children, that made little sense to us.

It's great how almost all of your guests say the place is much better than the photos...but that might mean you could improve the photos.  I do believe in the 'under promise/over deliver' theory and it seems to be working for you.  Good luck.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Vee274 

as @Lorna170  said - bunkbeds are a nightmare to change the bedding.

And as others said - if the place is small and ideal for 4 then keep it this way. Group of 5 will book and then complain how it is too small, crowded etc... you don't want that.

And.... smaller groups are easier to host.