Approve or decline a guest?

Daniel8752
Level 1
Oslo, Norway

Approve or decline a guest?

Hi fellow hosts, I'm totally new to this and wanted to share my apartment since I'm staying at my girlfriend's at the moment. 

I have gotten a few bookings and some of them are from accounts that is fairly new and does not have any ratings/rewiev's on them. As I can't see any pictures or more than the first name I get a bit on guard since I've had some bad experiences with the same service only car-sharing.

I've put in the requirements that the guest needs to be verified by airbnb and by ID and such but I might have been to late on my last potential guest.

What shall I do? I don't want to risk getting a bad rating in how I reply but I also dont want to have my home invaded by someone that does not have the best of intentions. 

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Daniel8752 

You can still ask the guest to verify ID on the profile.

If you are not comfortable with the booking request, just decline it.

Or ask the guest to retract the booking request, if the guest is asking something you do not offer in the listing.

(If it is an Inquiry, only sent a message within the repons time limit, no obligation to decline)

Peta115
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Daniel8752@Emiel1 

Hello, I am in the same position. I have put in my rules that I won't accept anyone without any reviews. I have had one automatic booking so far (lots of good reviews so I feel completely at ease about it) and then three enquiries from people who have no reviews and have just joined airbnb. I have politely declined all three just simply stating it's my policy that I won't accept people with no reviews. It strikes me as odd that they contact me even though I have stated I won't take people with no reviews. I have been a landlady for 20 years but this is the first time i've done airbnb. I don't know why but each person who contacted me today (no reviews just joined) spun me a story that didn't quite ring true to me. I do wonder if there are scammers out there who go looking for new hosts thinking they are totally naive and easy to scam? I am quite cynical though!

Also I read elsewhere in this forum that a verified ID doesn't mean a lot if they do end up being dodgy, and you don't have a lot of comeback, so best to go with your gut feeling.

I would be interested to hear what other people think. If I have made it my policy no reviews no booking, will it be held against me if I keep declining people who contact me with no reviews.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Peta115 

“I do wonder if there are scammers out there who go looking for new hosts thinking they are totally naive and easy to scam?”

Yes, there definitely are people like that out there and you can expect to hear from some of them.

Cynical is not necessarily bad.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Peta115 

If it’s an enquiry you don’t have to formally decline. Just answer and if the question was stupid or something doesn’t feel right you can add something like, “I’m sorry but honestly I don’t think my listing would be satisfactory for you and I cannot offer you a booking.”

If it’s a Request to Book you do have to accept or decline unless you can persuade them to withdraw the request by politely letting them know that they will be unwelcome.

Perhaps, “I am sorry that we cannot accommodate your request at this time. We do appreciate your interest, but you should withdraw your request immediately in order to avoid being charged a booking fee.”

I know this is misleading, but it is technically true, in an obscure way.  If you did approve their request, and they demonstrated the intent to violate the rules and had to cancel later, they might incur fees and/or penalties.

Peta115
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Brian2036 

that's helpful thank you

Mark-And-Pam2
Level 1
Thousand Oaks, CA

Need some guidance. Very new in fact within our first couple transactions. I have a request that seems a little vague only one review I’ve been a member since 2016. Fairly sure they’re verified based on my selections but I will confirm. Looking for suggested questions to try to vet as much as possible. For a nine night stay.

Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

@Mark-And-Pam2  As long as they have a complete profile and a good review, what else is needed? You could ask some questions if the booking enquiry is vague. 

Glenn