Ask an Ambassador #2: Cleaning fee

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ask an Ambassador #2: Cleaning fee

Stephanie_0-1625062659361.jpeg

Hiya everyone,

It’s time for our next Ask an Ambassador edition and today we’re talking to Barb50 from Nashville, Tennessee USA about cleaning fees and her story (so far!)

Stephanie_1-1625062659356.png

Can you share the story of when you decided to become a Host?

I've been in the hospitality field for decades. About ten years ago I became a host on another website and just loved welcoming people into my home from all over the world. I so enjoyed hearing about their hometowns and why they were visiting mine. The best experience was when we hosted a group of 12 singers who were travelling to a folk festival. It was one guy's 21st birthday so I baked him a cake. Nothing like hearing a dozen young people singing ‘Happy Birthday’ in 12 part harmony! When we moved to Nashville, we looked for a house where we could host guests on Airbnb.

What’s your favourite part about being an Airbnb Host Ambassador?

My favorite part about being an Airbnb Ambassador is helping people. I remember how stressed I felt when I started the onboarding process -- so many questions -- and to know I am helping to relieve that tension feels great. New hosts feel so much more secure in the process if they have support. I don't stop helping when they have their listing up though.

New hosts don't know what they don't know so I freely give out my contact info so that they can get answers when guests start arriving. I also direct them to their local Official Facebook Host Club to get them connected to other local hosts. These clubs are a lifeline to newbies, and experienced hosts are so very generous with their time and knowledge. My Host Club feels almost like family to me now. I've also become friends with some of my new hosts. 

What do you factor in when considering your Cleaning fee? 

Having a clean and sparkling rental is my number one priority so I don't skimp on cleaning supplies or help. My cleaning crew is an essential part of my team and I treat them well.  All successful hosts emphasize cleanliness, especially in this COVID era.  In assessing a cleaning fee, I would look to my local Host Club for recommendations for cleaning crews and then meet them at my rental. 

A host should ask specific questions about products and go over Airbnb's COVID cleaning process to make sure nothing is missed. Does the cleaner dust under the beds? How are wooden floors cleaned? How often are the baseboards cleaned? How will throw pillows be sanitized each cleaning?  The host also has to decide whether laundry will be outsourced or done on site. If off site, who will pick up and deliver the laundry? I am super picky and realize that without communicating effectively and setting expectations that everyone agrees on, the cleaning process can go awry. It's best to set up a cleaning manual with pictures and a check list for every room so that each and every step will be completed each time. 

Other things to discuss with your cleaning company is how charges may change during periods of high demand such as holidays or if there is a surcharge for same day cleaning (typically there is). Expect to pay more than you think you'll have to for the cleaning crew so that you get quality professional help. In the long run though it will pay off in better reviews and more bookings. I also feel better that I have committed to Airbnb's Living Wage standard for my cleaning help. 

Thank you, @Barb50! If you are new to Hosting, learn from Airbnb Ambassadors like Barb in a free Hosting class.

What cleaning tip did you find most helpful for your listing?

Please share your comments and any more questions you may have for us to put to the Host Ambassadors!

Many thanks,

Stephanie

Ask an Ambassador is an educational series designed to let Ambassadors answer questions and provide suggestions for your debut listing.  The views and opinions expressed in this series are the Ambassador's and do not necessarily reflect the views of Airbnb. Stays and Experiences on Airbnb are always evolving, and the information discussed in this series is subject to change.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie We set our cleaning fee slightly above the cost we incur outsourcing the laundry for each apartment. We clean the apartments ourselves so whether the cost goes into the cleaning fee or the nightly rate is pretty irrelevant.

We charge $50 for the laundry help. We have a washer and dryer on site but large bulky items go out.

The rest of the cleaning fee (our time and supplies) is baked into the price and we do our own cleaning. We're more efficient and it also allows us to check for damage or missing items. We've rarely had a problem with guests but on occasion its been helpful to see what needs to be addressed with a guest before someone else checks in.

We set a two day minimum which made it easier to justify the four hours to clean and sanitize the space. One night stays were just not worth the time required to do a turn-over.