Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ask an Ambassador #9: A picture paints a thousand words

Quincy_0-1633616047625.jpeg

Quincy_1-1633616047602.png

Hello everyone,

We’re back with our Ask an Ambassador! Today we are talking to Ambassador @Sabrina216, a Superhost from Denver, Colorado (USA), about her hosting journey and how she chooses the best cover photo for listings!

Can you share the story of when you decided to become a Host?

The idea of the sharing economy was always very appealing to me. I love the idea that we get to contribute to both society and the economy by sharing a piece of ourselves. I work in real estate, and I was starting to see a real need in my market for shorter-term stays rather than just your traditional long-term rental. I have a little carriage house on the back of my home, and it was the perfect opportunity to give hosting a try. It was really fun to remodel that unit and get it ready for guests. I earn about double the amount I would earn on a long-term rental, and I find hosting much more enjoyable.  

What’s your favourite part about being an Airbnb Host Ambassador?

I love helping people build their wealth and build their dreams - whether that be using the extra income for more time with family, starting a business, or saving for retirement. I get to share my expertise to make their experience better and more profitable. Personally, hosting on Airbnb has allowed my husband and I to cover the cost of our mortgage on our personal home with just the Airbnb income from our carriage house. The extra income has allowed us to be flexible with our careers, start new businesses, and spend more time as a family. It's fun to help people get started on their own journey.

A picture paints a thousand words – how do I select the best ones? 

The best one, of course! The cover photo is the most important part of marketing your listing. It's the first impression, and it's the image that people will use to decide whether or not they want to read more.  A photo that highlights your property's best features, is light and bright, and uncluttered is recommended. It should evoke the way that you want people to FEEL when they stay in your listing. Take a look at your competition; what are they offering and do you offer anything unique?

Thank you, @Sabrina216! If you are new to hosting, learn from Airbnb Ambassadors like Sabrina in a free Hosting class.

Share your best tips for choosing your best listing photo!

Please share your comments and any more questions you may have for us to put to the Host Ambassadors!

Many thanks,

Quincy

*Ask an Ambassador is an educational series designed to let Ambassadors answer questions and provide suggestions for your debut listing.  The views and opinions expressed in this series are the Ambassador's and do not necessarily reflect the views of Airbnb. Stays and Experiences on Airbnb are always evolving, and the information discussed in this series is subject to change.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Quincy  I definitely agree that the cover photo needs to show something unique to your listing.

The cover photo is what first draws people in. I see far too many cover photos of sunsets for waterfront listings- everyone already knows what a sunset looks like. If a guest is travelling to Paris, the cover photo shouldn't be the Eiffel Tower, everyone knows the Eiffel Tower is in Paris, and that's not what they are booking.

If you have a quaint stone cottage, with window boxes full of red geraniums, you might want to use that as the cover photo. But if you have a generic-looking suburban ranch house, that's not what your cover photo should be. You might want a photo of the bed, made up in your own unique style, instead.

One host had a photo of the pretty hand-painted sign by her entrance walkway, saying "All are welcome here". That was cool.  

And don't take photos of knicknacks or wall art. Guests aren't going to book a place because they like a picture on the wall, or your vase full of dried flowers.