Best options for review issue

Jason1736
Level 2
Austin, TX

Best options for review issue

New to hosting and have had 3 stays, first two were multi-day stays with one being full 28 days long.   Got great 5 star reviews on both.   Had someone book last minute for a 1 night stay.   They left their review and gave 4 stars for location and value, and 5 stars for all the rest of the detailed review items.  However on the overall review rating she gave us a 3 star review.   Doesn't make much sense to me at all.   I messaged her to see if somehow this was a mistake.   

If it isn't a mistake I would like to write a public response to her review noting the disparity, but not sure if I should or just leave it alone.   

Do I have any other options?    

Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jason1736  No, do not mention the star rating a guest left in a response. It makes the host look defensive and full of themselves, as if they expect every guest to consider the place perfect. It can also make future guests wary of booking with you, lest you rake them over the coals publicly for leaving what they feel is an appropriate rating.

If you want to educate a guest as to what the ratings should reflect, or ask for clarification as to why they left a low rating, that should be done through a private message.

Many hosts make the error of writing responses that have nothing to do with the written review. 

Review responses appear  on your review page, not the guest's. They are intended for the benefit of other guests reading your reviews and should be used to correct any misleading or false information in the written review, or to indicate a mentioned issue which was legitimate has been fixed. They should be brief and factual and only speak to what was written in the review, not something a guest conveyed to you during the stay, or in private feedback. 

It makes no sense to anyone reading reviews if a written review says,

"We had a lovely time here. The hosts were great and the place is clean and comfortable. We would definitely stay here again" 

and the response says " I wish you had told us about the hot water issue during your stay, as we could have easily fixed it."

The host is responding to something the guest told them in private feedback, that they kindly didn't bring up in the public review, so it just looks really odd to others reading it, and draws attention to an issue no one would otherwise know about.

Tip: don't take last-minute bookings, unless the nature of your listing is such that those would be your normal bookings, i.e. you live right near an airport or an interstate where road trippers might want a place on short notice. They can be problematic in many ways. Set advance notice for 2 or 3 days.

Thank you for the response.  

I also came to the conclusion after thinking about it, it would do no good to write a public response to the review.   I did however contact the guest privately to ask if the 3 star overall rating was a mistake since the detailed ratings were all 4 and 5 stars, which is the part that got me confused.   I got no response.   

Also I think setting the advance notice is a great idea.