Can I kick someone out for smoking?

Grace789
Level 2
Ipswich, United Kingdom

Can I kick someone out for smoking?

I really need some advice please.... I am new to air b n b and this is my 5th booking.. However, I had to pop round as the lights weren't working, only to discover a strong smell of smoke and this is after they declared that they were non smokers during the time of the booking. I do not accept smoking anywhere in the house and it was obvious to me they are....

What can I do? Ive been trying to contact air b n b support and had no reply....

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Grace789 If they have been there a few days and are leaving soon then the 'damage' is done and it probably won't get worse. You have a few of choices - I am sure there are more:

1) Do nothing other than being prepared for additional de-odorizing at the next change over plus leave a review that the guests broke your rules by smoking

2) Ask Airbnb to cancel the reservation due to guest breaking the rules. You will have to refund remaining days on the stay AND almost guarantee a pair of bad reviews which will hurt you more than the guest

3) Let the reservation finish and then put in a damages claim. This will also guarantee a bad review and Airbnb will be unlikely to pay as smell does not seem to equate to damage that can be claimed for

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@William810 

Potential guests don't have access to the reviews you wrote about other guests. Ony the guest you wrote about and future hosts can see that. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Ok, this is, a bit shifty, but so is what they're doing. So, if you consider all things equal... 

If you make a claim through the resolutions center, unfortunately, it not only will likely be rejected, but the guest will know it, and write a bad review, almost guaranteed. And you can't have it removed. 

So, if you want to make a claim anyway, don't make it big. A couple hundred max. Airbnb is less likely to toss it (although they probably will anyway). 

Don't say anything when they check out, smile and tell them thanks and what a pleasure. Make sure they enjoyed their stay.

Then wait for their review before filing your claim.. Provided they make their review before your next guest checks in. They can't change their review after it's written. 

If they don't write their review before the day of the next guest check in, then you can forget your claim. It's too late. But you're not likely to get the money anyway, so it's all the same. 

But... This way, they'll write an honest review of your place, you still have a shot at the claim, and you definitely should tell the truth in your review of the guest. They deserve it. 

Short, sweet, and to the point. They broke house rules by smoking in the house. Future hosts will know exactly what that means. That's all you need to say. 

Good luck 🤞

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Grace789  as a new host you may find this thread really helpful on this topic 🙂

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Smoking-deposit-collection-best-practices/m-p/1363183

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Grace789 just a heads up, I moved your question on this board (New to Hosting) for better visibility and potentially more replies and advice 🙂