Can you prioritize someone who inquired, when someone else requests to book?

Answered!
Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Can you prioritize someone who inquired, when someone else requests to book?

I'm really new at this. Just listed a few days ago, and have been getting bookings and inquiries. (Yay!) 

Today, I had 2 different inquiries, one for a 6 day stay, and one for a week. I answered their questions promptly, and pre-approved them to book.  But they did not book promptly, and meanwhile someone else requested 2 of the days during the longer stays. I did not see any option to contact the first party again, so I went ahead and booked the 2-day stay. 

Is there a way to handle this better, so that I am not missing out on these potential longer stays (the first party contacted me again tonight, about an hour after it was booked to someone else, and would have booked the 6 nights)?   If I had waited longer to accept the request, would I have been able to give it to the first party?   Or does it always have to be actually booked, even if it means I am losing out on the longer stays?

Thanks for helping me figure this part out.

Linda

2 Best Answers
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Linda3345 

First you have to understand the difference between an “INQUIRY” and a “REQUEST.”

An inquiry is merely a request for information. You should answer promptly and if they don’t get back to you, which most don’t, forget it.

They probably sent out several inquiries and they’re too lazy and inconsiderate to acknowledge your response.

If it’s a legitimate request to book you can and usually should respond with some questions of your own. You have 24 hours to either accept or decline their request and if they are uncommunicative that’s a good reason to decline.

If you approve their request your calendar will be blocked for those dates unless they fail to complete the booking within 48 hours, in which case it opens up again. (Maybe they only have 24 hours. I can’t remember offhand.)

You can delay approval while you contact someone who inquired earlier but if they don’t respond promptly it’s best to take the offer that’s actually on the table.

View Best Answer in original post

@Linda3345   Once a person sends a request to book, your calendar is blocked for that person. The only way to clear your calendar is to decline the request to book, and, yes, you are penalized for declining booking requests.  You have 24 hours to accept or decline a request to book.   

You could, of course, decline the request to book, which would free up your calendar, and then contact the person who inquired, but you have no guarantee the inquiry would turn into a booking, and you could end up with nothing.

You could also try asking the guest to withdraw the request to book, if you have a good reason for it - for example, if you find out they are not a good fit for the space, or they request an amenity you don't have.

I think it's best to keep a firm booking - first come, first served - and not wait for people to make up their minds what they want to do, or play around for longer bookings. 

If you don't want to accept 2-day stays in the future, you can change your settings to a longer minimum stay.  You never want to cancel a booking. 

Also, since you are new, it doesn't hurt to take a few shorter stays until you get more comfortable with hosting, and build your reviews. 

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

@Linda3345 

remember, you don’t have to press the pre-approve/decline button and respond. You merely have to reply in writing to maintain your response rate.

I never pre-approve, because that blocks my calendar.  But I always answer whatever question comes up and let them know I will accept their request if they wish to go ahead (possibly also pointing out that the dates are still available to anyone else who happens to send an enquiry).

Hm. Wonder if AirBnb works slightly differently in different countries? I'm pretty sure that I pre-approved people, and it did not block the calendar dates. In fact, I'm sure of it, because that was how my one potential guest lost her week she wanted; she was pre-approved, but did not complete her booking before I had another guest request, which I then accepted. 

But, I realized from my first experiences (all 5-7 of them, ha, ha!) that I don't need to be So Quick to respond. I was thinking it was better to respond within like 2 minutes, and I realize now that I can take a little more time to think the situations over. 

@Linda3345  Jenny is incorrect. Pre-approving doesn't block your calendar. 

2 minutes? It often takes me hours to respond to an inquiry or request. There's no way I'm responding if it comes through at midnight- they'll need to wait until I get up in the morning, make coffee, and have time to review their request.