Cancelation - New hosts - How to ask why?

Elisabeth798
Level 2
Brookfield, VT

Cancelation - New hosts - How to ask why?

Hi, We are brand new to AirBnb (as hosts) and just listed our property a couple days ago. I had a "request to book" by someone who did not meet our instant book requirements. The request message sounded nice and I was comfortable with the booking and accepted. They booked and then cancelled 20 minutes later. I'm not upset - they have every right to do so. Maybe they found something better or cheaper or who knows.  But I AM curious. I wondered if anyone had some advice on how I could polielty ask why they cancelled? If it was something in our listing (or not in our listing they expected or would like) I'd like the opportunity to try and fix or make better for future potential guests. How can I go about nicely asking and not sounding mad (I'm not) why they canceled? 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elisabeth798  Don't concern yourself with it. It's not going to be about anything you did wrong or can improve. Guests change plans, or whatever. It isn't something to question them about.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Elisabeth798  maybe say to them exactly what you've said here, that you're a new host and you'd love to know if their cancellation was anything to do with the listing to give you the opportunity to improve it for future guests. They may simply ignore you (which you shouldn't take personally), but you've got nothing to lose by asking.