Cancellation due to Trucker Protest

Cancellation due to Trucker Protest

Hi, I just received a cancellation due to Trucker Protest happening right now. The cancellation policy is "Non-refundable: No refund after booking". Should I give the guest a refund? Are there any penalties applied if I don't give a refund or give a partial refund? Could someone please help? Much appreciated!! 

4 Replies 4
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jessie253 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1320/extenuating-circumstances-policy

Civil unrest or govt declared state of emergency are covered issues. So it depends on what is happening in your area. I would direct the guest to cancel and tell them Airbnb will refund them if the extenuating circumstances policy applies in their case. You can’t refund them yourself anyway, as you don’t have their payment…Airbnb does. All you can do is ‘authorize’ Airbnb to refund in full or in part, as applicable. 

Thanks a lot for your great advice, Colleen! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jessie253  No, there are no penalties for not agreeing to a refund. But be aware that "non-refundable" means little if an Airbnb rep decides the guest has a legitimate reason for cancelling. Non-refundable is really of little benefit to hosts- guests try to get refunded anyway.

As far as this particular guest's reason for cancelling- if the trucker blockades mean that the guest actually cannot get to your place or trying to might mean they end up sitting in gridlocked traffic all day, I would try to work with them- either offer to let them change the dates, offer to refund if you are able to rebook to someone else, or offer some partial refund.

BTW, having looked at your listing to see where you are located, I don't quite understand why you are listing for 7 guests when you appear to only have dining table and living room seating for 4 max. 

I would suggest you either remove the living room couch from the sleeping arrangement and list for 4 -5 max, or put in a larger dining table and chairs and some comfortable chairs or another sofa in the living room. 

Your guest count and the furnishings provided are at odds with each other.

Thanks a lot for your great advice, Sarah!