Cleaning Tips & Tricks?

Ashley1186
Level 3
Horseheads, NY

Cleaning Tips & Tricks?

Hello, my name is Ashley and I am new to hosting on Airbnb! I was wondering about any good cleaning/organizing tips or tricks you have found works? I am hosting a four bedroom, two bathroom house that is pet friendly. (under 50 pounds) Also, do you have a certain routine or order you use for cleaning? I appreciate any insight you would be willing to share! Thank you and happy hosting! -Ashley 

4 Replies 4
Colleen28
Level 4
Johnstown, CO

Since I have been hosting for awhile my routine takes less than an hour. I have a plastic caddy full of everything I will need for every room. Extra trash bags, spot remover, glass cleaner, small tool kit, duster, paper towels, etc. First stop the bathroom clean, sinks and mirror. Replace hand towels check hand soap. Clean tub/shower then check convenience unit for body wash conditioner and shampoo. Empty trash I keep several bags at the bottom of the can. Try to only touch each item once. Clean floor. I ask guests to place all used towel in laundry basket. I then take the basket to the bedroom to fill with bed linens. Make bed, dust and check drawers and closet for items left behind. Empty trash and vacuum. Kitchenette is next. If necessary load and start dishwasher. Wipe down cupboards, microwave, dishwasher, fridge. Remove any food left behind. Restock fridge with water, snack basket and coffee supplies. Replace table cloth and pull all chairs out for easy access while vacuuming. Empty trash. Vacuum. In the living room dust, empty trash and vacuum.  Reset keypad.
I also have 3-4 sets of bed linens including blankets and bed spreads. Same goes for the bathroom towels, shower curtains/liners and rugs.  I have furniture covers on all chairs which I can easily change out if needed. Hope this helps. You will soon have your own routine.

@Colleen28 It is good to see that the Enhanced Cleaning protocol now allow this sensible approach to cleaning. I must go and read it again.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ashley1186   You will soon get a routine down, but I find it incomprehensible that Colleen can clean her accommodation in an hour unless it is quite small.  Your biggest time "waster" will be laundry.  If you have a complete change of linens for all 4 bedrooms and towel sets for the 2 bathrooms, then you can save time.  Otherwise, this is my cleaning regimen for a 3 bedroom, 3 bath house with LR and DR.

1.  Strip beds and bathrooms, bag linens for off-site laundry.  

2.  Scrub down bathrooms, starting with toilets (inside, outside and around base), check mechanism. Move on to shower or tub, countertops, wipe out drawers and mop floors.  Wash mirrors and walls (as needed) Leave to dry. 

3.  Kitchen - check dishwasher, wipe out oven and microwave.  Wash coffee pots and parts.  Check cleanliness of silverware and utensils in drawers, pots and pans, verify small appliances are working, empty toaster crumbs.  Sanitize wipe countertops and inside of refrigerator.   Check ice trays.

4.  Vacuum all bedrooms.

5.  Dust and polish furniture in bedrooms.

6.  Mop floors in bedrooms.

7.  Remake beds.  Check spare pillows and blankets in closets.

8.  Put clean towels in (now dry) bathrooms, replace bath mats.

9.  Pull couch cushions in living room, check for lost change, phones, tablets and clothing.  Vacuum couch base and replace cushions. 

10.  Vacuum living room. 

11.   Dust and polish furnishings. 

12.  Put back books and knick-knacks, clean TV remotes and check that cable TV and WiFi works.   

13.  Replace zippered throw pillow covers with second set (add pillow covers to laundry pile).

14.  Vacuum Dining Room.

15.  Dust and polish furnishings.

16.  Set out paper napkins in holder, check salt and pepper shakers.

17.  Check decorative and serving items on sideboard.

18.  Mop floor in Living Room and Dining Room.

19.  Wash out kitchen sink, replace sponge (wrapped) and put new roll of paper towels on dispenser.

20.  Collect cleaning supplies, put away or load in car.

21.  Mop kitchen floor, walk out and lock door.

This is a four to five hour clean for one person.  Two people can divide the tasks and cut it down to 3 hours.   Laundry will take 1 hour+ per bed, 2 hours for 8 sets of towels unless you have a commercial washer and dryer.

Colleen28
Level 4
Johnstown, CO

@Lorna170  Ashley was asking for our routine. My place is a 1 bed 1 bath with with kitchenette, living room and dining area. The point of my routine is to only enter each area once and have everything close at hand.