Cleaning & longer term stays

Marie7240
Level 1
Wynnum, Australia

Cleaning & longer term stays

Hi

I am new to hosting and my first guest booked for 12 nights.  Hooray! - but I am now unsure how to approach the change of bed linen, washing of towels etc before the end of the stay. 

My space is a self contained Studio with a shared laundry, and outdoor drying space.  I have provided sufficient additional linen and towels in the Studio but am not sure if I should offer to 'service' the studio mid-way through the stay and do a linen 'change', vacuum and a quick clean etc myself.  I have also realised i can only charge 1 cleaning fee.  I was wondering what other people do for longer term stays. 

thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You might want an opportunity to do a cleaning midway into the stay at no additional charge to the guest.  Doing this allows you to assess the guest's impact on the space and puts the guest on notice that you will be aware of how the guest is treating the space.  It would be necessary for you to state your mid stay policy before the guest books so a guest that does not want that service will be aware and pass on your listing.  Present it as a benefit to the guest of course.  

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

I think I would offer this to the guest as a benefit,  but let it go if they decline it. Sounds like they could manage their own linens, and some guests might prefer to do that. I don't think it is good to use it as an opportunity to check on how they are using your space. I do know that people's levels and expectations of privacy vary widely. Seems like one of the host's roles is to assess the level of privacy your guests would prefer, and to be up-front about your privacy comfort level. 

Thanks for the advice. I think you’re right I will offer but not push to do it as my guest seems to like his own space.  Maybe I will update my house guide too (list of tips/guidance etc) to include a piece on stays over 1 week and laundry options. Thanks again