Common problems/Solutions Thread

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Common problems/Solutions Thread

These are some common issues that hosts run into and possible solutions, all in one easy to find spot 😉 Hoping my fellow hosts will chime in here and add their observations as well!

Problem: My guest arrives with more people than stated on the reservation.

Solutions: 1. Make your house rules very clear about your capacity and what happens if they are not accurate.

2. Check in with your guests before they arrive to ensure that you have an accurate guest count. Ask them to update their reservation if things have changed. 3. Don't overstate your capacity by listing air mattresses, sofas etc on your listing. Make sure your dining table only has seats for as many people as you want to stay. 4. Implement an additional guest fee over a certain number. 5. Call Airbnb and ask that they cancel the stay if you cannot accommodate the numbers who have arrived. 5. Leave a truthful review stating that guests arrived with more numbers than booked. 6. Consider installing outdoor/doorbell cams.

Problem: My guest has arrived with a pet and I am not a pet friendly host.

Solutions:  1. Make your house rules very clear about pets and what happens if guests bring them (will they be asked to leave?)

2. Check in with your guests before they arrive to ensure that you both understand that pets are not allowed.

3. If the pet is a service animal and you must accommodate them, familiarize yourself with what your rights are as a host/what the laws are around service animals. 5. Call Airbnb to see if they can accommodate the guest in a space that is pet friendly. 6. Install outdoor/doorbell cameras if you have this issue repeatedly. 7. Leave an accurate review stating that guests arrived with pets and you do not permit pets.

Problem: My guest made a mess/broke things.

Solutions: 1. Take pics of your space before every guest arrives. If a guest leaves a mess upon check out, take pics of that BEFORE the next person checks in. Call ABB to report the issue. 2. Record any damage or breakage. Replace items immediately and get receipts. 3. Ask cleaning personnel to invoice you on letterhead for any extra cleaning. 4. Consider how to approach the guest-- will you send them an email in the ABB app to inform of damage/cleaning or start a formal resolution request? Always best to wait until 3 days after the guest review if possible-- less chance they will change a good review to a bad in retaliation. You have 14 days to do your request. 5. Know that security deposits are never collected. If your guest does not agree to pay for damages, ABB will arbitrate. Communicate only through the platform and send pics/receipts. 6. Write an honest review for the guest.

Problem: My guest is unhappy with their stay.

Solutions: 1. Communicate to find out if there are issues you can fix (is there something you didn't disclose properly, or is this just a mismatch of expectations?) 2. Offer to refund the guest for unused nights and call ABB to find them a different place to stay. 3. You can insist the guest finishes their stay, but be aware that your review will likely be lukewarm at best and the guest may pursue a refund anyway (which ABB may provide.)

Problem: My guest isn't leaving on time. 

Solutions: 1. Consider allowing late check out for a fee. Inform the guest of this in house rules and through messaging prior to the stay. 2. If late check out is not possible, email (through the platform) the night before/at least 2 hours before check out thanking guests for their visit and giving basic instructions. 3. Once check out time has passed and the guest is still hanging around say something like "Hi guest- just a reminder that check out time was at 11. My cleaners will be accessing the space at X time. There is a X fee to keep them longer than their appointed time. I would hate to have to charge you for that. Please ensure that you have all of your personal items and lock up according to our instructions ASAP. Thank you." 4. If possible, be at your space at check out to collect keys. 5. If your guest refuses to leave, contact Airbnb. You may also need to contact local authorities. Be mindful of your tenancy laws in order to prevent squatting. 6. Leave an honest review stating that the guest overstayed. 

Problem: My guests are having a party. 

Solutions: 1. Be very clear in your listing/house rules about consequences of guests throwing parties- do not leave any wiggle room for "small gatherings" etc. 2. Vet reservations carefully. Do not allow one night stays, ask a lot of questions, collect copies of IDs, etc. 3. Pay attention to red flag questions from potential guests ("are you on site? How close are the neighbors? Its just me but I really want to book a 5 bedroom house with a pool." etc) 4. Understand your listing's party potential-- is it large, does it have a pool? It may be attractive to partygoers. Make sure your nightly price is more than $20 or $25 per person/per night to discourage parties, lower your capacity counts. 5. Consider installing outdoor cameras, party squasher devices, etc. 6. Consider turning off Instant Book if parties are a problem. 7. Enlist the help of neighbors to report unusual activities at your space. 8. Call ABB if you suspect or know a party is happening. They will want proof-- if you have images from outdoor cameras or neighbors, have them handy. 9. Consider involving local law enforcement to break up the party if it is violating local ordinances for noise, underage drinking, trespassing, etc. 10. Occasionally scan social media to see if your space has been identified as a great place to throw a party (and yes, it does happen.) 11. Consider whether or not you want to alert the guest that you know a party is happening. If you think the guest will be truthful and helpful, give them a chance to shut things down and clean up. 12. Know that ANY time you have a party thrown in your space, if the guest is caught you will likely get a poor review. Leave an honest review for the guest no matter what. 

1 Reply 1
Lori2497
Level 1
Columbia, SC

How to set a monthly rate for Feb 2022.  Feb 1-28 is only 27 nights, so my monthly discount does not work.  I have weekly rentals or monthly rentals.  So, I can not charge less nightly.  I would like my weekly rental rate to stay the way it is.