Covid making guests more picky?

Azhara0
Level 1
Lossiemouth, United Kingdom

Covid making guests more picky?

Is anybody else finding that since Covid you clean more deeply than ever and in irony guests are much more picky? I have noticed this year getting a few 4 stars on cleanliness when I know they were not deserved and in comparison to previous years I always managed to keep the 5 star status. 

3 Replies 3
Claire1631
Level 1
Cavendish, VT

Yes people are much more difficult to deal with.

Yep! I just got a "3" rating from a woman who sent a long note saying my baseboards were dusty (they're not, we even vacuum the heating vents between guests), and claiming two light bulbs were out. We found only one that needed replacement - in a chandelier with 7 other lights - then twisted it and it came right on.

The good news is the vast majority of my guests are so fun and love the space. But you get those bitter (I don't say that lightly) never can be pleased people and it just wreaks havoc on an otherwise good run of ratings.

Jerry473
Level 1
Columbia, SC

Agreed!

I am at a loss for words! Since the start of Covid in early 2020...we have been going the EXTRA mile for our guests, yet, more guests than usual seem to be NOT so satisfied! They don't say anything to us or bring anything negative or constructive to our attention--until they leave a bad (or questionable) review.

We are leaving more time between guests, sanitizing the countertops and surfaces, steam cleaning the linens, vacuuming the baseboards (like Christine615 said), and even leaving fruits and breakfast foods (i.e. bagels/English muffins, cream cheese, oatmeal, grits, creamer, coffee, teas, butter, orange juice, milk, apples, oranges, tangerines, etc. etc.). Taking extra care so that our guests will be comfortable. (If we have a guest with a dog--we even buy and leave dog toys and treats for them.)

Our objective is to make guests feel more at home, and "Welcomed" during this pandemic.

Out of the past 2 years, since Covid, we have been doing these extra touches for our guests...and only 1 has mentioned a Thank You!. (Not one has mentioned the dog treats/toys!)

I bring this up because it is such a noticeable difference from the way guests used to behave, prior to Covid. Guests would at least text me when they arrive and comment on the house (or Studio) and how clean and comfortable it was, or how eclectic, etc. Now, for the most part, we hear nothing  until they leave a 'less-than-perfect', picky review., or no review at all.

We've been hosting since 2010...because we like sharing our home and our town with others. I think the last few years have made a serious change in people that has affected their outlook. What used to be comfortable and even interesting...is now inadequate and  unsatisfactory.

Seems messed up!