Critique My Listing - Deniece, in Texas

Deniece7
Level 2
Houston, TX

Critique My Listing - Deniece, in Texas

Hello everyone.

Me & my hubby are new to hosting here in Texas. We started off strong with several bookings consecutively, and now we’ve had several weeks with no guests. We’re working out other logistics Ali g the way as well: smart home, cleaners, restocking, etc. 

Looking forward to learning more from this community. 
I’m including our link if anyone wants to check us out…feel free to send any feedback or suggestions as well.  
https://www.airbnb.com/h/cottage-in-waterwood

Happy to connect with you all 

Deniece in Texas. 

Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 09.26.55.png

6 Replies 6

@Deniece7   It's a cute home with a lot of potential. It also looks like nobody has ever really lived there before, as it appears extremely desolate and empty. The best suggestion I can offer is that you spend a few nights there with a group of 6 people yourself and take notes of all the creature comforts you notice are missing. Like a coffee table in the living room, lamps on the bedside tables, some kind of wardrobes to unpack luggage. Does the dining table have enough seats for everyone? Is the kitchen stocked with all the cooking gear you'll need to have a decent meal? Does the backyard have enough furniture for everyone to get comfortable outside? Does the artwork on the walls bring enough color and character to keep things from looking too drab?

I don't think anyone actually likes the little signs saying things like "SCATTER HAPPY" and "CHOOSE POSITIVE" all over the house, but if you absolutely must have them, maybe ditch the close-up photos, as they are a cancer upon your listing.

Flower boxes or pots out front, right away! 😊

while everything looks new and purposely chosen/arranged, as the other hosts have said you need to liven things up.  Monochromatic=drab, as well as being easy to scroll past.  Colorful accessories and accent

throw (s), pillow(s) minimally, and, in the kitchen, some appetizing accessories-even a pretty tray with colorful mugs?  Fresh flowers?

Be sure to maximize light (I had my partner on a ladder, hold workshop lights!) and take a large variety of shots and angles.  Then scrutinize for shadows, cords (as suggested) - and take longer shots to maximize the space.  

Replace the inspirational signs with…well, anything 😉

Good luck - it’s a beautiful spot!

Fresh flowers?

Oops - forgot to delete repeated “fresh flowers” …or did I…?🧐

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Deniece7  Hi, I'm sure your place is much nicer than the pics show. that first shot would e great if it was without the shadows.  Even one of the 3 reviews says much bigger than pics show. You need photos that make it look great. also first 5 pics should give a show of Front, living room, kitchen, bedrm, bathrm....people don't wanna scroll through all the pics to see the bedrm or bathrm. Also, pics should be shot during early morning, afternoon time without all the shadows. And most all shot horizontally (landscape). So far you are doing terrific. I'd name the place something, I just read in your review hidden gem so why not something like : Hidden Gem in Waterwood.....or something like that - make it separate from the rest. 

Guests want to know who the host is - write something in your bio. 

The kitchen and bedrm look stark- empty. Bedside tables should have lamps - people want to read/have light next to the bed, both sides. Kitchen looks like a copied pic. add something with color, make it look like guests can just make a cup of coffee or such. 

the last pic with the two chairs - add something - a small table with cups/glasses/something, towel/throw/ something...allow guests to imagine themselves sitting right there. Write descriptions under each of the pics also. For me, please reshoot photo #22 and move that dark wire from the plug and out of the picture. haha....pet peeve. 

I hope this is helpful and wish you all the best in hosting.

Clara

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Deniece7  so i have my photographer's hat on with some feedback:
your first 2 photos are basically the same, ditch one. Also, it's out of focus (OOF) so look at taking a new one at some point. an outdoors pic like this (horizontal of course!) is easy to take well on a smartphone. It looks like you saved it off a webpage, and it's too small.  
the 2nd pic of the kitchen with nothing in it is superfluous, and OOF
you don't need close up pics of generic artwork, this is just another photo to scroll past and too many of these will annoy viewers. same for the pics of your generic signs and fake plants (and if someone breaks it it's just more work for you to update your listing)
I agree with others that the space looks sparse, but so does mine because I try to avoid trinkets that really just annoy guests, especially on bedside tables. Speaking of those, yes, you need to have 2 by each bed, with lamps.  styling wise i'd go for plain quilt covers in the future, it looks more stylish rather than staying at my mum's house, and you can change out cushion decor to put some colour pops in the space for a more intentional "put together" look.
Not sure what the room is with the glass table, that's just random. 

your outdoor space is probably much nicer than what your photos portray, so a little styling and better photos would help. the other photos look like you've taken them off a website and are too low res. 
There's no photo of the swimming pool. The location looks amazing btw!
Remember to use captions on your pics as those words are read by the AI robots. 
 you've got a great property here, hope it goes well!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Deniece7 

Hi, may I suggest you change your title? 

"Waterwood's Undiscovered Treasure"

Right now your property looks dull it need livening up,

Major problem is the lighting is not good it virtually impossible to take good photo's which has been said.

Personally I dont like curtains tied up like that.

If you are going to put place mats on the table why not set the table properly with crockery and cutlery and some wine glass's.

Best advise I can give you is hire a Pro photographer, they will know how to set up the place for a photo  shoot it could be the best $100 you spend.

Did you know there is good time and bad time of the day to take photo's? 

Im guessing you cant change the colours of the outside?