Critique My Listing - Ev in Sebastopol, CA

Critique My Listing - Ev in Sebastopol, CA

0C1F1E09-F3E3-44FA-AB48-C4E1EDFF68EF.jpeg

New to hosting any suggestions or positive feedback appreciated.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/52969107?adults=1&children=0&infants=0&location=Sebastopol%2C%20Califor...

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Evert46 Some random thoughts

1) Is 3 hours really enough to clean this space or do you block a night between bookings?

2) It looks very pretty

3) How have you determined your nightly price?

4) Some say security cameras should be described in the text somewhere. Don't know if this is true.

Hi, @Mike-And-Jane0  I appreciate your comments and questions. 

1) We haven't had a same day starting and ending reservation yet. However, it's a good point so I will change it to give us 4 hours.

2) Thank you

3) We use Beyond Pricing service to determine pricing and it sets it automatically.  They charge 1% but seems worth it.

4)  There are some security cameras, I will add it to description.

@Mike-And-Jane0 wrote:

4) Some say security cameras should be described in the text somewhere. Don't know if this is true.

really? i've ticked the box on my listing, and added some text about where they are, the info is there under More, where our guest rules are, hahahaha. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

Check out the Sonoma Airbnb Facebook group. Helpful for our area 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

It seems bare @Evert46 yet your one glowing review talked about the board games and things - I would want to see a picture of those.  The point is to show that life can happen there - the pictures don't quite convey that.  Also, would one be allowed to pick the fruit in your wonderful garden?  If so, it can be in the house manual if it's not already.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

hi @Evert46  Everything looks new, clean and comfortable! i'm not a fan of your styling, the black and red thing is not a vibe.  However, that's just me and i'm sure you are bound to find guests who love it, so don't mind me. I might have a different aesthetic being in Australia too. 

I think your kitchen looks cluttered, it's great you have everything out on display so you visually give people the clues that you have everything they need, BUT if i were to actually try to use that kitchen you have about 1' of clear benchspace. Imagine i'm walking in with 3 grocery bags of food, where do I put these?? I'd have to move things out of the way for it to be functional, and this might be annoying for cleaners to be putting things back all the time. In my space when i find that guests are all moving the same thing out of the way, I take the hint and remove the thing, or move the furniture to where they put it. So i'd remove: the spoon rest, that's just something else you have to clean, easily broken. and that random jug on the counter. the soup bowls, the black/red tin thing? perhaps put in the cupboard. the green thing in the corner, is it a bin or something else? and the spices can go in the pantry too. Have a pic of the kitchen without all that stuff, in addition to your current one,  so it looks spacious. The sweet timber drinks trolley and cute corner whatnot (send that to me! totally suits my place haha) just doesn't suit your styling, and really are serving no purpose except to add visual clutter and be dust collectors. The less you have to clean, the better! Also will make mopping and vacuuming easier. There's a trade off between having the space look great in photos (so you need decor items) but having it be actually usable by guests (who fill your space with their own clutter). On the few occasions i've gone in to my spaces (with guest approval of course) I've been stunned at how they just put stuff everywhere, it certainly doesn't look empty when they are occupying it. I stayed in an abb place last year for 4 weeks with my family and basically put all her knickknacks in a cupboard for the stay, so they wouldn't get broken, and to free up bench space in the kitchen and other areas. Another kitchen tip that I do: unplug the microwave, works for me because the old kitchen has not enough powerpoints and the micro location is not nearby, but also it lets me know if people actually used the microwave, so we know to give it a proper clean. I also put the toaster away in the cupboard, same reasoning, and we have very limited bench space. 

If someone were to sit at the dining table with a laptop that candle thing would just be annoying, also someone else will warn against letting guest light candles. Not me! We supply a candle in our listings, what can I say, women love candles! (and fairy lights, more on that later). However, they look fake so it's probably fine, but again, not practical if you want to use the table and have bowl of food, wine glasses etc on the table. People are going to relocate it out of the way (to where? top of your kitchen cupboards i'm guessing).  I have some of those fake flickering candles (they turn on at 6pm and off at midnight, marvellous things), I put them in spaces where you can't get too close and see they are fake.  sleeps 5 but only 4 chairs around the dining table? perhaps have a spare fold up chair in the laundry. 

It's probable guests will plug in chargers in the kitchen, and put devices on that countertop, so that wine bottle holder is also just another knickknack that's in the way. 

You are free to ignore me, we are all delightfully different in how we live our lives, and i'm definitely more of a minimalist. I am also a big plant/garden lover, although not so good at outdoor gardening, so LOVE your back garden, I'd almost make that the cover photo (but that appeals to me, ha, so don't do that). But you have a great opportunity to make your garden space magical with solar powered fairy lights, oooooh, could be so pretty. I spied a few so I'm sure you're on to it. every time i go to our mega hardware store i just buy more of those stick in ground lanterns, and a box of the string lights. that large tree would look amazing if you wrapped it in lights. i know, it's expensive, I hear you. My husband hates them (during the day that is) so i've got to be really careful how I put them up. 

btw I stayed in Sebastapool at an amazing airbnb in 2018, very much enjoyed your wine region and the surrounds. 
all the best!