Critique My Listing - Jordyn from McFarland, WI

Critique My Listing - Jordyn from McFarland, WI

Hi Everyone, I would love some feedback on my two listings. They are on the same property. One has been active for almost 2 years, while the other has only been active for about 5 months. I would like to make any improvements I can. I'm trying to get longer stays instead of doing one to two night stays. Need help with attracting those type of travelers. Also looking for advice on getting 5 star reviews. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated! Both are older homes that have been remodeled. They are next to a campground in nature. 

https://airbnb.com/h/waterfront-water-rentals

https://airbnb.com/h/rustic-cottage-mcfarland 

6 Replies 6
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jordyn19 

I’d be a little nervous about allowing 8 people in that house. That could turn into 8 adults plus a whole herd of children.

I see that there’s a wheelchair ramp in front of the house. You might emphasize easy access.

A catchy name might be helpful. Maybe something like “Fisherman’s Fantasy.”

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jordyn19 

Your listings are nice and I can't really find anything specific you could do better. I see your lowest ratings are for location and value, and those things are so subjective, it's not worth fretting about. Plenty of hosts get low location ratings- one who posted here once, had a stunning modern home with infinity pool, all the bells and whistles, overlooking miles of pristine beach in the Phillipines. Guests gave low location ratings because it was a 10 minute drive too the nearest grocery store. It's absurd.

As far as attracting longer bookings, perhaps it's just not an area that would attract that? 

And you should be aware that Airbnb does not offer the protections necessary for long term bookings, i.e. 30 days+. But maybe you just mean 1 or 2 weeks.

Be careful with your review responses- that one you wrote to Scott doesn't do you any favors- it makes you look defensive. Keep review responses quite brief and use them to correct misinformation, not to bash the guest in question or to refer to the ratings they left. Responses appear on your review page, not the guest's, and are read by future guests. So you don't want future guests to feel they can't rate or review the way they see fit without getting publicly raked over the coals. 

@Jordyn19 All good suggestions from @Brian2036 and @Sarah977. One thing I'll add: Airbnb is a very visual platform, so to get people to click on your listing in their search results, it's really crucial to have an inspiring lead photo. Your homes look very nice, but the lead photos (a bed, and a toilet) don't get me excited about a family holiday. I'd recommend replacing the top photo in both listings with an image that captures the most enjoyable and unique feature in the home, ideally with colors that stand out in a thumbnail image. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jordyn19 and welcome to the CC; just a heads up I'm moving this to our New to Hosting board where it might have better visibility. Thank you 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Jordyn19 

1. Lead with a nice waterfront shot and then give a "tour" through your photos.
  2. why on earth are you attempting to cram 8 people into that 2 bedroom space? You mention "no parties" front and center so limiting guest counts to 4 will definitely help that. 
  3. Perhaps dress up the bedroom pics with some colorful throw pillows and make sure the comforter is not creased. 

Overall it looks like a nice place! 

Yogita3
Level 2
Goa, India

Hi @Jordyn19 

You have wonderful space! I loved all your outdoor images.

Following things I would like to suggest regarding your listing 1) Remove Double/repeated pictures of the place.

2) for your first listing add 2 blue colour cushions to break the monochrome look of the bedroom.

3) If possible add new Indoor pictures. I feel some of them look dull.

Best Wishes!