Critique my Listing - Paul from England

Answered!
Paul8350
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Critique my Listing - Paul from England

20220326_062218 1 1.jpg

Good afternoon all,

My partner and I are new to hosting on airbnb, we are up and running and have had 3 quests in our first 4 weeks since going live.

I was wondering if someone kind soul out there wouldn't mind having a look through our site and offer some advice on what's looking good and what's not with the site.

We are wondering how we get more guests, given the whole "chicken and egg" scenario.  Not many guest, not many reviews, not many guests etc.

We are situated in Meopham, Kent, UK.  

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards

Paul 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/612231498230758521?source_impression_id=p3_1651664590_CcGNrmCIRWETB9q...

**[Name hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul8350 No TV would put me off. Also is the price competitive? Have you compared to others in your locality?

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul8350 No TV would put me off. Also is the price competitive? Have you compared to others in your locality?

Hello,

Many thanks for the prompt reply, and the advice about the TV.  We have 2 rooms listed, a larger double bedroom with a TV and a smaller double bedroom, with no TV at the moment, but I will put one in there.

As for pricing, we are about 60% of going rates in the area.  This is in an attempt to attract attention and bookings.

Are there any other tips to try and get up the listing when people search in our area.  Obviously we are not super hosts yet, have not had any reviews, yet!.  Will it all fall into place eventually?

I look forward to hearing from you shortly. 

Kindest regards

Paul

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul8350 I think you said you have had 4 stays so far. Perhaps when your guests leave you could ask them to leave a review as this is important to you

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Paul8350 - Meopham is a lovely part of the world, and a fun one to hear people try and pronounce. Here's some feedback from me. 

It isn't immediately clear whether you are partnered with Maria (or somebody else). Listings like yours are quite niche, and many would-be guests are seeking a more personal experience where they'll interact with the hosts. What I'd like to see is you and your partner in the same picture (smiling, ideally) to give off the friendly vibe. The co-host thing is a bit corporate.

The foreword isn't supposed to be a catch-all, but more to sell the experience. It isn't, certainly not in my opinion, to share that the horrors of Bluewater is a mere 15 mins away. It's all about the romance of open fields, leisurely walks and brilliant friendly pubs on the doorstep. Below is a listing I stayed at a couple of years ago and sells the experience. Or at least it did to me.

https://bit.ly/3FdSGKc 

Likewise, I'm not sure 'workspace', NPI, works - they're there to relax, not get busy on their laptops, surely - unless you're after the WFH mob?

Photos - too many showing essential the same things, just different views. Maybe try and streamline them...15 of your garden is excessive. Simply check out some of your competition's listings and follow suit. 

Listing two - (people will often look at both, just through nosiness) seems, I think, to suggest the bathrooms are shared, whereas the first says private?

You've got a mix of first and third-person language. Making it more about 'you/you'll' is much friendlier and easier to read. People don't want to be a 'guest' at yours per se, or they'd have checked in to a Travelodge.

How fast is your broadband; 'country-speed' or superfast (Londoners will have a breakdown when they realise there isn't a coffee shop within five metres of your house, and sloppy slow wifi will send them off the edge).

Final thoughts; paid washers make it sound a little industrial - do you really have these? 10am check-out in the (relative) countryside a scratch too early (I'd be happy with 11, not before) and do you provide slippers if people need to remove their shoes (this isn't Sweden!).

Once you get going, Paul, it'll be a case of smiling and waving as you count the cash. Good luck.   

Paul8350
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hello,

Many thanks for your views on our site, very useful and certainly highlighted things we never considered or thought of.

I've made some tweaks to the site already.

Kind regards

Paul

Donna271
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

I have seen other new listi gs where they actually say “Since this is a new listing the hosts will give a discount of 10 or 15 percent off the first 4 guests” or whatever. Guests look for reviews but its best to be upfront and admit it new and with discount get reviews and guests! 

Donna271
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

I looked at your site as a person looking to be a guest.  I would not stay in a place with shared bath But if thats the way it is there is not much you can do. The room and bed are pretty small too which will limit interest. What I think are POSITIVE aspects are I assume the shared spaces but not sure how that works in your place? Does guest have access to cook in kitchen? Are outdoor areas  and livingroom and library shared with other guests?  As a guest I would want to know these things? Is breakfast invluded as you call it a bed and breakfast not an air bnb where no food is served to guests. The description is not clear. Certainly not over priced. Sharing bathroom and so many spaces limits interests especially since only one guest can stay but there will be more interest if folks know what the listing offers. Nice house!