Critique my listing - Ashley in Horseheads, NY

Ashley1186
Level 3
Horseheads, NY

Critique my listing - Ashley in Horseheads, NY

9b556abd-0119-4564-8e2f-a972035cea03.jpeg

Hello! I am new to hosting and I was hoping someone can critique my listing? I would love to learn ways to improve it! 😊-Ashley

Here is the link: https://airbnb.com/h/hardinghomescorning

11 Replies 11

@Ashley1186   You're off to a great start with the nicely organized photos, and the descriptions are a good balance between thorough and concise.  

If you intend to charge pet fees, your listing should be explicit about the pricing structure - how much per pet, and whether it's a flat fee or a nightly fee. 

The procedure for damage claims isn't quite as you describe, starting with the fact that Airbnb confusingly doesn't actually charge the so-called "deposit," and the amount you put in that field has no bearing on the outcome of a resolution request. It's fine to ask that people notify you if something breaks and just leave it at that.

@Anonymous  Thank you so much for your feedback! I will definitely make those adjustments, I appreciate you taking the time to look at my listing and offering advice! 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Ashley1186 I don't know your local market or what price would keep you competitive in that market, but your price seems exceedingly low for what you're offering. I'm seeing $129 for the whole property. That's about $16/guest if the house was actually booked for 8 people. 

Would you consider structuring your pricing for 4-5 guests, and then charging more for additional guests? 

I think the existing pricing encourages parties, or groups that you might not want. I have found that being on the higher end of the local market attracts a better class of guest. 

$16 a person is just too cheap. You'll attract groups who are shopping for price over quality, and that doesn't bode well for treating your property with respect. A capacity of 5 should accommodate your average family, if families are who you're looking to attract. 

If you choose to do this, it's pretty easy to clarify in your listing and then structure the listing for additional charges per guest. 

I would also clarify what your pet fee is, as @Anonymous suggested. 

Also, you can include most of your "Before You Leave/Clean Up" instructions in the check-out instructions in your house manual (an actual manual in the house). A guest who happens to read them before booking will not retain that information. You can also include them in a  check-out message to your guests if you care to send those (I don't). 

Good luck! Kia

@Kia272 Thank you so much for your detailed response, it was very helpful! Those are all great points and I will definitely be making adjustments to my listing! I appreciate your help very much, take care! 

Nice place, clean and orderly and you left a lot of space for the guests to use. 

@Kia already touched as to price, but to add to that. -who is your target market? Family?

Group of Techies looking for a cheap place?  Is it one entity or catering to rent to multiple strangers?

My gut feeling would be to define a target, whether single family or young professional types and definitely start with a price of $225mo. for the whole house.  Pets additional. The higher the price the less ax battles down the line.

Good luck.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Ashley1186 Like Andrew, Kia & Fred said you are starting out terrific.....I'd follow their advice for certain. what I'd add is rethink your pricing structure - Its just too cheap, which often equals less than stellar guests. You want to avoid that. Your price structure is way too low - with 8 ppl its still under $200. Plus you are offering a weekly discount. I'm totally against any discounts, except perhaps military - and your cleaning fee is way too low $50 - you can usually not get a full house cleaned for $50 - at least double that. You will be shocked how much people want to travel. I have a little cottage for 2 guests and during the summer guests paid during summer holiday huge $$ over 200 nightly. I couldn't believe it but they did. Without question they paid. Like Fred said, who is your market? also, perhaps find a name for your place and think about Branding because it will make a huge impact for you online. Also, You will have your own name on the listing which specializes your place for guests to remember.  Happy Hosting! 

I agree with the other hosts as to next steps.  My input would be to improve on the coffee area with a designated place that looks cute and inviting.  Put a couple cute coffee mugs and put the coffee and creamer into cute containers.  I also would find something that is special from your area that won't break the bank to give guests as a little treat!  We are in Hawaii and so we give the guests papaya and bananas and a welcome note from us.  Makes people fell special.  Now that your listing is created and you are ready to go the most important thing to me is that you are involved in your listing.  Your reviews will make or break your business and so make sure guests have a wonderful time at your listing.  Great job and Much Aloha

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

If you don’t have a significant additional charge for every guest after the first two, INCLUDING CHILDREN, people are likely to use your place as a party house, crash pad, daycare, or homeless shelter.

In our experience, twice as many guests equals at least four times the mess.

If they’re children between the ages of 2 and 12 figure on substantial damages as well.

Two couples, four kids should expect to pay double the nightly rate for one couple.

Don’t forget about your heating costs. If you have a whole gang of people plus their friends in there I promise you that they will crank the heat up and leave doors and windows open. 

Geri26
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

looking quickly at your pics, have you considered naming the rooms by colour rather than room 1, 2 & 3?  They all have different wall colours (which look great btw) and it is easier to remember  a colour than a number.  May not be applicable if you are renting out the whole house but may come in handy later down the track  if you or a  guest need to discuss a  particular room or you decide to rent by room.

Fernando1666
Level 2
Rochester, NY

Hello @Ashley1186  I believe we could help you out, visit our website and let me know if you have any questions! https://www.faemanagement.com/

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ashley1186   Very cute!  Are you going to be washing the quilts with each guest?   If so, be sure to have backup sets in case they do not dry completely between guests.  I double duvet cover my quilt inserts, washing the duvet covers between guests.  I recently travelled for a month and the hotels (4+ star types!) did not have duvet covers on the quilts.  I questioned the cleanliness.

If you are going to have pets visit, be aware that there are some pet owners who will allow the pets to sleep in the beds, or will put your quilts on the floor for the pet.   Hard to believe, isn't it, but I just had a guest do that, even though my pet addendum specifically states that animals may not sleep or lie on the beds or furnishings.  Lots of laundry!