Critique my listing - Bart Brussels

Bart248
Level 2
Brussels, Belgium

Critique my listing - Bart Brussels

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I decided to rent out our appartment when we're not in town, as we do travel quite a bit. 

So we made an airbnb listing and now already have two upcoming reservations! 

The main reason for this is - we suppose - the low price point. We set it at around 50-60% of the price that we wish to get to get some quick reservations and hopefully positive reviews. 

These first two reservations came in the same night we posted the listing. Since then we raised the price to the level we'd like to have long-term. 

However, we're one week in and we did not receive any additional reservations. 

Our question at this point is basically: 

- How could we improve our listing to get more reservations short term? Other than price, which parameters could we improve on? 

- What changes can we make to increase our price mid to long term? 

Here is our custom listing link: https://airbnb.com/h/our-home-in-brussels 

Any feedback is welcome! 

Thanks,

Bart & Lize 

3a4d2f88-c272-4a44-b6c5-b288275e6650.jpeg

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bart248  Pricing is a matter of experimentation. You check what similar listings in your area go for, and so on. And it's preferable to get fewer bookings at a higher price and nice, respectful guests, than a bunch of bookings at a low price, which may attract guests who don't treat your place respectfully.

As for your ad, your place looks really nice, and the photos are really good and clear. There is an error, though- it says 2 guests, one bedroom, 0 beds.

Also, I hope you realize you will need someone to act as co-host to manage the place and deal with the guests if you are planning to go away when it is rented out. Many people think, Oh, I'll just rent it out when I go on holiday and the rent will pay for my vacation.

I can assure you that Airbnb isn't "easy money", and that you can't necessarily trust guests to look after your home and belongings respectfully.

Hi Sarah,

thanks for your feedback! 

Indeed we don't mind having somewhat fewer guests as long as they're more respectful. 

We'll keep that in mind in our pricing policy. 

However, we would like to avoid being priced too high on the short term - as we don't have any reviews yet so far. How much in advance of the actual visit should we expect reservations? (read: by when should we consider lowering our price to get bookings)? 

Thanks,
Bart

@Bart248  Personally I wouldn't fall into the trap of lowering your price, if it is in line with similar places in your area, just to get more bookings. Be patient, we are in extraordinary times with the pandemic- guests are not often booking far ahead. And it depends also on your location and what guests are coming for as to how far ahead they book. Guests might book a year ahead for a popular location over Christmas holidays,  for instance, because they want to be assured of securing a place before there is little left in their price range. Conversely, other hosts may get lots of short notice bookings because they are close to an airport or convenient to people on a road trip who might need a place for the night.

It took me about a month and a half after listing to get my first booking. And bookings were sporatic for the first year, but as I built up reviews, then they came in much faster.

I have never offered discounts and I have had consistently lovely guests. Quality guests and stress-free hosting takes precedence for me over high occupancy rate.

If you end up with guests who damage your property because the place was so cheap it attracted lowlifes, you won't be making money, you'll be losing money. It's better to start off slow until you get the hang of hosting than to end up with a full calendar before you really understand all the ins and outs of the platform. It's a big learning curve for all of us.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Bart248 

This is your competition and it looks like there’s a lot of it: 

http://www.booking.com/Share-VkGbuX

(Smartflats Premium)

Their price for a 2-BR is nearly $200 per night and your apartment with that wonderful balcony looks much nicer, so at less than $100 per night it’s a good bargain for guests.

If you initially asked half that I’m not surprised that you got quick bookings. There are always certain people looking for inexperienced hosts with low prices and they are often not very nice or appreciative.

Your cohost should be warned to be careful who she allows into your apartment.

As for possible improvements, I would suggest some homelike decorations on the walls. Look at the competition to see what they are doing.

I understand that you may prefer a stark, post-modern style and it’s your apartment so you have every right to keep it that way.

On the other hand, you might have a lot of fun hunting for quirky decorations at thrift stores and flea markets and you can always put them away when you get home if they annoy you.

Airbnb’s recommendations regarding prices, policies and discounts are not to be trusted.

Low prices and big discounts often attract the wrong sort of guests.

High prices do not seem to be a barrier to good guests.

Good luck to you, keep adjusting your listing, and I’m sure you will be successful.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Bart248 I'll move this in our "New to Hosting" board now, as it might have better visibility there. Thank you 

@Bart248 

I would recommend you lowering the "security deposit" as that might be scaring to potential guests. We all know how airbnb security deposit works. From my experience everything goes through the resolution centre.  If the amount is small enough (approx 100-200eur) then its "covered" by the "security desposit", if its bigger than its covered by the Host protection program. In ALL cases, keep receipts, and don't forget make photos/videos before and after 😉 checkin/checkout.  

I tent to agree with the idea of having it a little bit lower than the market place so you have few 5* reviews so people starts trusting you... 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Bart248 and welcome to ABB CC from across the miles in Auckland , New Zealand

Your listing is clean and simple and attractive

Maybe include some photos and a little more about places of interest in and around your neighbourhood.

Belgium has some incredible architecture and talents - lace making etc not seen in some countries.

How far are you from the Grand Plaza/ Brussels's Square?

I've mixed memories from when I traveled to Europe and fell over in Brussels's only to have the budding Actor Lenny Henry help me up. I had no idea at the time who he was and forever treasure having had an unusual opportunity to have a photo with him.

All the best