Critique my listing - Leigh in London, UK.

Leigh523
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

https://abnb.me/ulpypccuEob

Hi all, new to AirB&B and would love some feedback on my listing. Thanks

EDC9F703-2A85-4E95-830A-375AFBA6DCFD.jpeg

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Leigh523  Your description seems incomplete. You haven't mentioned who guests are sharing the house with, your amenities list says "kitchen" but there are no photos of the kitchen nor have you mentioned what parts of the house are available to guests and whether they can cook or not. It's far more important to make those things clear than to mention that there are hooks on the back of the door.

The TV on top of that little bookcase looks rather precarious, like easily knocked over? 

Other than that, your listing looks fine to me. 

@Leigh523   Ditto everything @Sarah977  said.

Your lead photo is the first one that appears in search results, so it really shouldn't be a picture of a nearby park, unless that is literally the view from the guestroom window. Shots of the surrounding area are fine if you put them at the end of the photo queue, but generally the guests who find your listing have already decided on their destination, so you don't have to sell them quite so much on the location. You'd be surprised how many guests aren't paying attention to details when they book, and might not notice the fact that the home is shared with people (how many?) and a cat. It helps to front-load the description with those details, and even reiterate them in the pre-booking correspondence.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Leigh523 

I would second everything @Anonymous and @Sarah977 have said.

For your lead photo, perhaps you could go with the living room shot. That looks like the most appealing and also reiterates that you have a cat. Do upload photos of the kitchen, bathroom etc. These things are important to a lot of guests. 

Although you have a good description of yourself and your partner on your profile, not all guests are going to click on that. You need to actually spell out on the listing who 'we' means, i.e. who the guest will be sharing with. You would be surprised how many guests make wrong assumptions about that sort of thing. When I first started hosting, I had guests who thought they were going to get the whole place to themselves, even though it was advertised as a private room in a house with shared amenities and cats! They still thought I wouldn't be here. Not sure who they thought fed the cats...

You only have a basic set of rules. You don't have to add to them of course, but you might find with experience that it is sometimes better to make certain things clear from the outset, e.g.

- Guests can use the kitchen, but do you expect them to clean up after themselves, and to what extent? If so, you need to tell them that. Some guests will assume because the host is on site that they get some sort of maid service included!

- Do you have quiet hours, e.g. a certain time after which you want the guests to keep noise to a minimum? Again, this might seem like just common good manners, but in the beginning I had so many guests making a lot of noise late at night or in the early hours of the morning, so I had to spell it out.

You get the idea!

Leigh523
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thank you all so much. Really, really helpful.