Critique my listing - Moises in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Moises80
Level 2
Windsor, Canada

Critique my listing - Moises in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

I am having issues maintaining a high occupancy rate. I'd like any feedback, tips, or recommendations, please.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Link:

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/42245817?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=d30c0c43-13cc-43ac-8705-...

PXL_20210924_172735765.jpgPXL_20210924_172838122.jpgPXL_20210924_173233392.jpgPXL_20210924_173338113.jpg

30 Replies 30
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You are getting some help from the system, @Moises80 . When I entered Oct 14 to 16 in order to see your prices, I got the "rare find" note: "This is a rare find. Moises' place on Airbnb is usually fully booked."

Your reviews are great, too, and guests do read them.

I picture a fluffy white duvet on the bed doing a great deal to soften and brighten things up, but that's just an opinion, of course.

Thanks for your feedback @Lawrene0 . I noticed the same thing ("rare find"), I just do not know exactly how that happened I had my calendar opened for three weeks haha.

I am definitely changing that duvet before my next guest arrives.

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

When I read the listing, I saw "no TV".  Is that an error?   Unless you are offering a hermit's getaway hut, I think a TV is a must.   And yes, look on Pinterest for how to make up the bed in a little more special way.  A couple of extra pillows, an extra throw across the bottom of the bed. Add more, and better photos. You've got a great place. I think your photos just aren't showing the best side of it yet. Best wishes. 

Thanks for your feedback @Linda3345 .

It is actually not an error. I did not want to put a TV in there because in my mind there's no room for it.

Even if I hung it from the wall, maybe I am wrong, where would you suggest putting the TV?

I am for sure doing something for the bed as many of you suggested and I 100% agree.

@Moises80  Personally, I hate the look of a TV hanging in the wall. I hate TV altogether. 

Your place is small and cozy, no need to try to fit everything in there.

@Linda3345  "Unless you are offering a hermit's getaway hut, I think a TV is a must."

TV may be a big part of your life, but it certainly isn't a "must". I have never had a TV in my home and neither does anyone else I know. No guest of mine has ever complained about there being no TV. There are thousands of rentals in my town and almost none of them have TVs.

Many people watch things on their devices these days, anyway.

TV is not a huge part of my life, though it does have its place. 

I have read, I believe on these forums, and elsewhere, that providing a large TV was a must-have for most guests. Perhaps that is just in the US. The TV is expected to be of a large-enough size (I'm waiting to see from our guests' comments if ours is large enough at 42".)  I even bought an Amazon Fire Stick to make the streaming process on the TV more straightforward. So far, I have resisted putting in cable TV, though my nearby friend who has a rental did put in cable after many guest requests. 

I will not put in more than one TV, nor put a TV in a bedroom, even if guests request it down the road. I know many Americans have TVs in their bedrooms, but I think a restful night's sleep is more important. 

So that makes me rethink my advice to @Moises80 , since his AirBnb is essentially a bedroom, right? OK, I take that advice back! 

@Sarah977 , thank you for sharing another perspective. I am glad to know that there are places where people are not dependent on TV. 

@Linda3345  Here's the thing- there are a hundred amenities that attract a guest to a listing or not. All Airbnbs, except for hotel listings, or generic condos, etc. are more or less unique, as they are private homes.

Airbnb has a long list of "opportunities" they suggest you add or offer to get more bookings, but most of them are not offered by the host because they do not suit the listing or the host. No matter how long Airbnb suggests I offer same day bookings, or long term bookings, or use instant book, that is never going to happen- it doesn't suit the way I choose run my listing or my lifestyle.

XX % of guests are looking for places with pools, hot tubs, TVs, Wifi, pool tables, washing machines, dishwashers, full kitchens, Keurig machines, home office, ocean front, lake front- the list is endless.

Fine. They can filter for the places that offer what they want and book them.

There are remote listings with no Wifi or cell signal at all. They get booked. There are places with no kitchen, they get booked. 

The listings that attract the type of guests who are a good fit, and have the least amount of hassles with guests are those that market towards the type of guests that will be most suited to what is offered. If you're trying to attract business travelers or digital nomads, you need a home office space and strong, reliable Wifi. If your place is good for families, you need  some unbreakable dishes for kids, washable paint on the walls, bullet-proof  furnishings. If you're out in the countryside, with no stores or restaurants nearby, and sketchy Wifi, you don't want to attract city slickers who will be out if their element and freak out if they see an ant.

Trying to attract any and all guests is not a great strategy. Most businesses and their advertising depts know this, whether it's a clothing company or a car manufacturer. They identify their target demographic and create imaging and wording to market towards those people.

Thanks a lot for both of your inputs @Linda3345 and @Sarah977 .

I see your points, in this case, I will keep the listing without a TV unless my guests start asking for one or suggesting having one, so far (5 stays), no one has asked or suggested it, and it seems like our guests are bringing their devices. Fast internet is a MUST in this scenario I would say.

@Sarah977 , these are good thoughts that I will mull over,as I am a new host myself. 

L-J146
Level 2
El Paso, TX

Hello - I may be doing this wrong but I would like feedback on my home that I just listed last month and not sure how to do that- HELP

@L-J146  You can search this forum with words like "critique" and get posts like this:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/New-to-Hosting/How-to-ask-for-listing-critique-on-the-Community-...

That's in a board called New to Hosting that you might enjoy.  

Looking forward to seeing your place!

Hi - thanks for your reply. However I still can’t figure out how to post for a critique even after you sent the link - I can only reply to other hosts instead of starting my own critique of my listing 🙁

@L-J146  On the first page of this "New to Hosting" section, scroll down that first page until the last thread on that page. Under that, you will see a red bar that says "Start a new conversation". Click on that and you will be able to start a new topic post.

@Stephanie  Why was this place to start a new topic moved to the bottom of the page? It's not somewhere people would look for it, it's counterintuitive- it needs to be at the top of the page, like it used to be.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah977 ,

Hmm I can't reproduce that on my computer. We haven't actioned any movement on that button on our side. Is it still happening now?

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines