Critique my listing - Phil from San Diego, CA

Phil3544
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Critique my listing - Phil from San Diego, CA

449B9A79-93E9-4BB6-9E00-DF63E3231624.jpeg

Hi everyone!

Very new listing, we had our first few bookings very quickly, but now it’s been really quiet. Our first guest is a month stay, so it’ll be a while before we get our first review back. 

pretty happy with the start we got, just want to keep up the momentum, so please tear it apart and tell us what we can do better. We worked our butts off to launch quickly, so now we are ready to tweak as needed. Thanks!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/52731808?location=San%20Diego%2C%20CA%2C%20United%20States&translate_ug...

5 Replies 5
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Phil3544 cute space! My husband is from San Diego. I would imagine your market is pretty popular. My 2 cents:

1. Name your listing. Lose the "Live like a local" as it implies that people can just roll up and treat this as their own. You might be unpleasantly surprised by what that means to many guests! Instead try something to make it personal and have it stand out. "Pequeno Parque" or "Casita Blanca" etc. Maybe even make a sign for the outside of your listing.
  2. I am confused about your beds and guest counts. If you have a day bed you might treat that as a single only. Most guests I have had (American guests) demand a queen or larger. I have seen many complaints in reviews about "small beds" when a double was present. I would underpromise/overdeliver on that one.
  3. 5 people is a lot to share one bathroom. I would limit to 4 adults. if you want to accept infants as well, ABB does not "count" those in your capacity. I would definitely raise prices in San Diego. Do some research about the going rate nearby.
  4. Make your house rules a lot more robust. Mention consequences if things happen ("if you bring more people you will incur an additional charge/be asked to leave." "You can have a late check out with 24 hours notice and an additional fee of X.") Parking is always an issue in San Diego so you might want to flesh out where a guest can or can't park.
  5. The pics are really nice, but just a personal preference is for some color here and there. Maybe a bouquet of flowers or some throw pillows? Not a must have but it does look a teensie bit sterile. Again, personal preference. It certainly looks clean.
  6. Mention if this is a full house, an apartment on the back of the house, a duplex (that's what it looks like?) and if it shares walls. Potential for noise and guest "quiet hours" might be something to consider if there is a neighbor.
  7. If you are going after families, get some kids books and games and take a pic of those as an amenity. I would think about your market. We had a lot of families in the beginning but decided to target more couples as clean up was much easier. But if that is who you prefer, make it clear you have items they will appreciate. 

Overall I think it looks very bright and airy. You can definitely tell you put a lot of work into it!

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

I looked quickly; here are my thoughts:

1. I would add some color to the kitchen and bath, with inexpensive accessories like dishtowels. That is my personal preference. 

2. Perhaps remove the hose and rephotograph the patio. A hose is a reminder of Work-to-do, and you want your place to look all relaxing. (It reminded me that we also need to put away our hose.)

3. Do you really not have a separate entrance to this place? That was not checked on your amenities. 

4. Perhaps provide a few more amenities on the list? For example, I put in shampoo/body wash/conditioner dispensers in each bath. So I can provide it, but not bottles sitting around. 

5. I hope you can get feedback from your first guest, because that is likely to be the most helpful. This looks like a nicely-done place! 

@Phil3544  I agree with all the suggestions above. I'm especially with @Laura2592 on the need for a little more color, especially in the bedrooms. Some splashes of warm tones and some art on the walls can go a long way to make the space feel more homey and inviting; the all-white bedroom look feels a bit too Patrick Bateman.

It might even help just to re-photograph the bedroom with the curtains open, as natural light is more flattering to the space in general.

I'm not 100% sure you'll find families with small children to be the best fit for the space. The high dining table seems suitable only for adults, and the bright white walls are magnets for grubby little handprints. A group of 5 would find it hard to eat at a small-ish table with only 4 chairs or fully enjoy the 2-seat patio, so smaller parties of 2-4 adults might be a more suitable target. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Phil3544 

It’s a cute property and should be in high demand.

I realize that the minimalist look is popular and it wouldn’t put me off, but I agree that some colorful decorations might attract more attention.

In a beach town you should be able to find some odd tourist trap items at thrift stores or you could do your own beach combing for driftwood, shells, etc.

I don’t know what rental prices are in that area now but I would expect to pay twice what you are asking.

Low prices will attract more guests but some of them might be people you don’t want.

Phil3544
Level 2
San Diego, CA

All 

thanks so much for the great insights. We compiled all this feedback and we are working our way through the list. Super helpful, and much appreciated