Critique my listing - Rebecca from London

Rebecca1691
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Critique my listing - Rebecca from London

Hello,

I am new to Airbnb and have had a few guests stay but I am looking to increase my bookings

Please could you have a look at my listing and give me feedback on how to improve. It is highly competitive within Canterbury, any advice on how I can boast my guest stays would be greatly appreciated.

My Listing: www.airbnb.co.uk/p/cosy-canterbury-apartment

Rebecca1691_0-1652000576181.jpeg

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rebecca1691 I am just wondering why you have such a limited time period for check in and yet have a lockbox for self check in.

Probably for maids to clean room and get it ready after previous guests  check out 

Rebecca1691
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 True, must have slipped through the cracks, I will extent it to 10pm. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca1691 Being an upmarket university city, this listing should be selling like the proverbial hotcake. However, here's my feedback on why people might be put off. 

This property requires a £150 security deposit
No, just no. Payments outside Airbnb, including cash security deposits, are against their Terms of Service. To me, a deposit of this fashion is dodgier than a nine-bob note and could actually have you thrown off the platform. I've stayed at dozens of Airbnbs but absolutely wouldn't risk one with a sneaky deposit.

Like @Mike-And-Jane0 says, the check in window isn't guest friendly. 

The parking situation isn't particularly helpful (and I know Canterbury well) especially, if it's the development I think, there is parking onsite. People want to park on the doorstep.

Your bio (and the listing foreword) shouts 'corporate', but I suspect you'd like some of the leisure market too. It's too corporate focused for my liking. 

Good luck!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gordon0,

Hosts may require a security deposit, and collect it via Airbnb's Resolution Center, and is in keeping with all transactions occurring on platform.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The listing read (and was sort of susbtantiated by a low-scoring first reviewing - the thing of nightmares) as if this was some sort of 'private' deposit. If this isn't the case then I agree; if it's above board via the platform, all's well, @Debra300. Although how effective (and palatable to the would-be guest) is flaky at best given you'll need to beg CS to hand any of it over!  

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gordon0,

I see two written reviews, but no stars reviews.  Neither review mentions the deposit.  This is my experience when I require a refundable security deposit that is mentioned in the listing details.  I send the payment request via the Resolution Center, the guest accepts the request, and the funds are sent directly to me.  There is no need to ask customer service to release any of the funds to me.  Since deposits are great behavior modifiers/motivators  I've never had to keep any of the deposits, and always refund the money back to the guest via the Resolution Center.  None of the guests have ever reported not receiving their refund.

Patti-And-Marty0
Level 10
East Fremantle, Australia

@Rebecca1691I think the space could be made more inviting with a few accessories. The kitchen should be clutter free with perhaps something of a bright colour on the bench, large bowl maybe? All the walls are bare, some large inexpensive prints would add colour and life to all the rooms. Even bathrooms need some colour or warmth added, and it might just be the photo but it looks like a bit of mildew at the base of the bathtub. Also hide cleaning products when taking photos. The sun streaming in is lovely and the colour on the beds and furniture is good, just a little more personality would make it more appealing to me.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

hi @Rebecca1691 
*half the photos are low res, not displaying well. 

*you seem to mostly have a 5 night minimum.

*your calendar is only open to end of July. 

*the reviews are ok but you've been dinged for value, your price looks fine. 

* I wouldn't call having a car park 7mins walk away "family friendly", is there at least a way to unload luggage on site first? Letting guests know this much might help.