Critique my listing - Scott in Vail, CO

in
Atlanta, GA
Level 2

2958 S Frontage Rd W B4 MLS-7.jpg

Listing:  https://abnb.me/fdQddYH8Kpb

First, thank you for taking the time to review and provide feedback to a new host.  We recently purchased this condo for our family use (1-2 months a year) and while we are not there we plan to have it available on AirBnB.  

The condo was previously listed as an AirBnB and received strong reviews so I hope to live up to the hosting standard set by the previous owner.  As it was just purchased we have plenty of work we plan to do to make the property more enjoyable for our family and our guests but asking for feedback as it is represented now - both in the current accommodation and how I have the listing presented to guests.  

Of note, the areas where are improving:

-Kitchen - new matching appliances including a chimney hood in place of the microwave, new countertops and tile backsplash.

-Downstairs bathroom - new shower tile

-Stairs - replacing stairs with spiral staircase to allow for more space in the living room with a goal to fit a dining area for at least 4.

-Living Rom furnishings - will replace carpet, get a new sleeper sofa and chair.

-Bedrooms - Possibly get new beds with headboards to offer a more inviting feel.

The condo is in a resort town so visitation is seasonal with summer and winter being high months and the months in between with a lower demand for occupancy.  

I'll add that I am also using Pricelabs to adjust pricing in line with the seasonal aspects of the market.

I welcome all feedback on the listing and sincerely appreciate your time.

Scott

13 Replies

Re: Critique my listing - Scott in Vail, CO

in
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Scott1598    Think it looks great and your suggested improvements should work well.  Not sure about the spiral staircase though as they are not particularly ‘child or pet’ friendly (from bitter experience). It will depend on what type of guests you are trying to attract.  Perhaps an extending table might be an option?  The only other thing I would suggest would be to perhaps replace shower curtains with toughened glass screens.  They are much easier to clean and tend to make a bathroom look more spacious .

in
Hay Valley, Australia
Level 10

@Kate867  the current staircase isn't child friendly either.  We could make the assumption that people coming here are either skiing, or hiking so shouldn't find a spiral staircase too taxing. 

Online Community Manager in
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @Scott1598 

Welcome to the Community Center!  I just wanted to drop by and say hello, and to compliment you on a gorgeous listing!

Jenny

Can’t find what you’re searching for?
Click start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 10

That's one funky listing, @Scott1598, and you must be pleased as punch with it. Like @Kate867 I'm very much of an anti-spiral-staircase sort of chap. Having fallen down one (and felt each and every *hard* step as I did) I can't think of anything worse. 

I think you're making a good call on the headboard situation; who wants to put their head on a wall? But as the beds look decent(?) maybe consider a wall-attached headboard instead to reduce expenditure? We've used one and I think it works.

Something I'd do now is get a snow-free photo of the balcony. It's looking pretty slippy and there will be someone who wants to make a big deal of it. 

Your listing will undoubtedly fly off the shelf; it's looking great already and your improvements will give it some boost.

in
Atlanta, GA
Level 2

Sincerely appreciate the feedback @Kate867  and @Gordon0 !  I should have mentioned why we are considering a spiral staircase.  At the top of the current stairway we are concerned about head height upon entry to the loft.  We are limited by the distance between the two, huge, structural beams that run the width of the condo.  The lower beam is what holds the stairs up but the top beam has only about a 5" (1.524 meter) entry point.  We anticipate many bumped heads and do have a sign at the top of the stairs but imagine that will not fully remediate the head-butting.  The current stairs also take up a large portion of the small footprint in the living room where we would hope to allow for more seating or a small dining table.  

The plan is to move the spiral staircase behind the current beams so as you enter into the loft you are already on the other side of the beams and on the interior of the loft where the ceilings are high.  Welcome any other thoughts if you all have had to reconfigure stairs.

@Kate867  - excellent idea on the glass screens over the tub and we have started to price them out. 

@Gordon0 - love the suggestion of some newer summer pictures and totally agree.  Also, appreciate the tip on the wall-mounted headboards which we will add for more warmth and comfort.

My wife just put in an order of new "little" things like new rugs, towels, mugs, etc to help add a more inviting feel while not cluttering the small space.

Thanks again and sincerely appreciate the time and advice you are offering.

Scott

in
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Scott1598   I understand the ‘head bumping’ thing.  Our cottage is 450 years old and has many low beams but a couple of particularly bad doorways.  I put up a couple of strategically placed ‘Duck or Grouse’ signs and on one particular doorway actually padded the beam using wadding, velvet cloth and upholstery tacks.

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 10

Did the previous Airbnb incarnation have issues with head banging (of the non-dance flavour), @Scott1598? I fear the spirals will simply move the problem (if there is one) somewhere else. I think sometimes (I'm guilty of this) we try to make changes because we think it's 'right' in our heads. I assume you've chatted with an architect and had a nose round your neighbour's places?

in
Bogotá, Colombia
Level 2

I think your Picts are boring, they are no really inviting. You need to add spicy to it. Make it look like you really care. Yes all your ideas are going to improve your listing. go ahead . 

in
Atlanta, GA
Level 2

@César-Julio0 - Thank you for the honest feedback and I certainly agree.  These are the pictures from the sale of the house.  We just placed some large orders for items that add more function but also add a sense of warmth and home.  We will need to find the right balance of interesting and inviting without making the place feel cluttered.  A little at a time.  Once we get everything in we will take new pictures and hope it provides a the guest a feeling that we care, which we do, since we spend a lot of time there as well.

Gracias!

in
Hay Valley, Australia
Level 10

@Scott1598 wrote:

@We will need to find the right balance of interesting and inviting without making the place feel cluttered.  A little at a time.   

100% how i operate @Scott1598 . i know some people like to get all the spending done up front, or are just enthusiastic (easily done!) but i prefer to do it slowly, carefully and never pay full price for anything, haha!  one of my pet peeves as a guest is clutter and pointless decor items (usually cheap). On a long stay (like a week or more) i put all the decor items away in a cupboard, to avoid them being accidentally broken/damaged.

Level 2

Looks beautiful!

Some wordsmithing: How about:  Your living room connects to an open, fully-equipped kitchen. The main floor has one bedroom with vaulted ceilings, more windows and a full bathroom. Your second floor has a private bedroom, vaulted ceilings and a large bath with jacuzzi tub and skylight. Your front deck has seating [for how many?] and you have a private parking spot if you bring a car.

Safety issues: 1) Are those interior stair rails conforming to code? They wouldn't pass code in MA. Looks dangerous for children. 2) Who sweeps/shovels the outside steps and deck for snow?  Do you provide a shovel?  Ice melt?

Level 2

I'm surprised that it looks like there is sit down space to eat just for two people.  Am I missing something?

Have you thought about building in the $175 cleaning fee into your nightly rate?  You could do this IF you had a good idea on what the typical duration of stay is.

Level 2

There's also an open area with no rails at all?? That's a problem.

I assume you'll get a commercial insurance policy like one from Proper.