Critique my listing in Cooperstown NY

Anya897
Level 1
Cooperstown, NY

Critique my listing in Cooperstown NY

Sybe_0-1663167668193.png

Hi,

I just listed my first STR in Cooperstown New York . It’s been 1.5 weeks since listing and I have tried to lower price, update descriptions, but still haven’t gotten any bookings (except 1). I know it’s slowing down after the summer , but also think fall is a great time to visit the area . Can you critique my listing and let me know what I can change , add , etc ? Would love any feedback you may have . Also what can I do to try to ramp up interest in my property? Here is the link: https://abnb.me/JFZ0Oyteitb

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What research did you carry out before you listed on demand and supply for your sort of listing in your area?

You can invest in listing on all suitable platforms and do some market research so you can set up your own marketing channels and take direct bookings @Anya897  Never just rely on Airbnb as your sole marketing channel.

Cathy379
Level 2
Erin, Canada

Hello!  I just had a look at your listing (I've been on airbnb since 2015 - Just got back on since covid lock downs this year). 

1.  The pictures look good.  I would try to stay away from pictures where the rooms look bare and bring the camera in closer on the things that give the room some character.  Example if you have a pic of a bedroom also add close up pictures of sweet little knick knacks that might be in the room etc.  Your home is beautiful!  You need to show off what makes it extra special, like the porch is amazing.  Maybe have a close up of one of those chairs with a pillow and a book on it with a cup of tea.  🙂

2.  Because it is a new listing you are going to have to make some sacrifices.  They hurt but it will pay off in the end.  First put you minimum stay to 1 night.  Right now it's not about making money.  It's all about getting as many reviews as you can.  Also lower your price (not too much) or / and get rid of your cleaning fee.  You can always raise your minimum night once you are established and you can also raise your 

prices / add your cleaning fee back on once you have a few great reviews.  People will pay way more if they trust the listing and reviews are key!

3.  Network.  I have made relationships with wedding venues in my area.  Do the same if you can.  Event venues will LOVE the fact they have a local host to work with and wedding parties / guests will pay WAY more.  I actually have my listing price set at a base price for 2 guests and $30 more per guest after 2 people.  The more people, the more money.  Wedding guests/ brides want to be near their venue and they will absolutely pay for it.

4.  Offer something more than any other airbnb does in the area.  I offer  a breakfast farm board.  I make it up the night before and leave it in the fridge for their first morning.  People LOVE it. :). If you don't want to do that then make or buy cookies and make sure you have an awesome coffee / tea station and luxe shampoos/ soaps etc. and take tons of pics of those things.  

I hope this helps and good luck!  I'm here anytime!

Cathy

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Anya897 

I changed your title a little bit. 

Charming, Spacious Country House perfect for the Whole Family!

Charming, spacious country house perfect for the whole family!

This is the ideal place to unwind and get away from it all!

Enjoy your morning coffee on our lovely covered porch while watching the hummingbirds buzz around.

In our fully equipped kitchen, you can prepare a delicious meal.

We have two dedicated work areas as well as a play area for children.

We are right next to Glimmerglass State Park and close to Cooperstown, farms, breweries, museums, and the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Anya897 I would not change to one nighters ever with such a big listing that will attract the worst kind of guests. Things are tricky on line at the moment but as someone said remove all extra words that may throw you into a 'category' use the filter words though . Make your rules clear and maybe close your calendar to closer to the current date so that a close date pops up with you being available. Keep your cleaning fee but keep it reasonable and make sure you are appearing on the map feeds . check out your closest competitors and try to just underprice them for say a week long stay . make your prices lower through the week and higher on the weekends , starting fridays and finishing mondays . Remember you are going for quality not quantity . The last thing you want to become is the local party house. H

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Anya897 I think you should have waited for construction to end before listing your rental. Hopefully, it is completed by now. 

Even though your house is large, I would reduce the number of guests to 6. Less wear and tear. 

Since, I work remotely for my job, I would not consider your description of a dedicated work space accurate. A desk and chair in one’s bedroom is not really dedicated. Also, I recommend purchasing true desk chairs that are  made for sitting long periods of time and that can roll. When one has to sit for hours to work, sitting on a hard chair is just no fun and terrible for your backside and lower back.

Just a thought. The room with the futon would make a great dedicated workspace. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gwen386 wrote:

Since, I work remotely for my job, I would not consider your description of a dedicated work space accurate.

@Gwen386 there's nothing inaccurate about @Anya897 calling that set up a dedicated workspace, as it fits Airbnb's definition. It doesn't matter what room it is in, the point is that it's either a desk or table that is not used for other things (i.e. not the dining table, breakfast bar, dressing table etc.) and the chair just needs to be comfortable with ergonomic being optional. See below:

Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 12.48.38.png

This might not be ideal for everyone of course, but as long as there is no misleading photos/info showing a separate office that doesn't exist, I don't see that it's misleading.

@Huma0 I did say for ME it’s inaccurate.