Current guests are breaking house rules as we speak

Sean1066
Level 2
Birmingham, AL

Current guests are breaking house rules as we speak

I'm new to AirBnB and I am currently hosting my 8th reservation at my 3/2 house. Pool table and a big backyard- an entertainers space. The guest booked for just one, no one else was added to the reservation, but he used "we" in his opening message to me. So I asked if there were other people staying at the house with him, he says "5 or 6 of us are traveling together". Fast forward to yesterday when two people checked in and (hopefully this isn't creepy) I checked the ring doorbell cam to see who it was. I don't think the two guys matched the picture on the booking profile. Now, in the last 3 hours I have received about 7 notifications from ring that the doorbell has been rung and theres motion. People are showing up with bottles of booze and coolers....In my house rules I specifically state no parties, or events and no smoking.  Now I see them smoking cigs on the back patio, loud music is playing, it is almost 10pm here and I don't want them disturbing my neighbor or nice/quiet neighborhood.....what do I do??

2 Replies 2
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Sean1066 

Contact Airbnb Live Support advise them cancel that the guests are partying and breaking house rules. Make sure that you have all the reservation information at hand so they can look it up quickly. Print screens from your doorbell cam so you can email them to Airbnb.  Expect damage if there is a party.  Read Airbnb's damage reporting policies. And confirm with them. Then contact your local Airbnb safety centre. Call the police for advice and to give them a heads up if a potential illegal party is being held at your rental.  Some guests, from what I hear on the Community Center prey on newbie hosts.  If you go to your rental, keep yourself out of danger or harms way.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean1066  When the guest booked for one but said we and you questioned him, did he then add a higher guest count to the reservation? If not, that was the first error. "5 or 6" isn't okay- the reservation needs to be for exactly how many people are coming- any more show up and you don't allow them on the property.

You need to message this guest and tell him the party is over, everyone needs to leave NOW. When a host sees something amiss, it's important to act immediately, not just wait to see what happens. 

If the guest doesn't respond to the message, round up some buddies for back-up and go kick them all out.

Airbnb can't enforce your house rules for you- that is up to the host. It's your property, it's up to you to make sure you are in charge of what goes on there.

And once this little nightmare is over, remove the wording "designed for entertaining" from your listing description. And be aware that no one who is being honest books a 3 bedroom house that sleeps 7 for one person, even if they don't out themselves by saying "we".