Damages - To review, or not to review.

Melinda249
Level 1
North Bay, Canada

Damages - To review, or not to review.

Hi!

Full disclosure, I'm a new host. I anticipated superficial damages but expected that most guests would be honest and respectful... Shame on me. 

Our 3rd guest has caused damage. Our unit does not have AC (indicated under amenities and amenity limitations) and it turns out - they brought their own. OK, I didn't think that sort of thing is something one might travel with but whatever.

Anyhow, they installed it themselves (without notifying us - we came to realize only because it was loud and we could hear it) presumably incorrectly because it either leaked, or flooded? They've checked out now and upon inspecting the unit there are sopping wet towels (their own and ours) everywhere and the flooring is warped.

They've not messaged us, nor did they leave a note. 

I'm conflicted. I'd like to review them honestly, for the sake of other hosts,  but can't afford a bad review in return so early on. 

When we heard their AC I sent them a message, not indicating that we knew, but asking if they needed anything with regards to managing the heat (we had unprecedented temperatures this weekend). They responded that everything was perfectly comfortable. 

I'm not sure what I should have done differently and how I should proceed. I realize I can photograph the damages and contact AirBNB but I also know that they will be notified once I have. 

I can eat the cost of repair, but should I? Is a good review more important at this point? 

Sorry, maybe I'm just venting... I guess I just need a sounding board. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this, and to answer. 

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

yes you should file a damage claim. Make sure you do it timely, before your next guest checks in or within 14 days whatever is sooner. You will have to provide photos and estimate for repairs. Will you get anything from your guest or from Airbnb host guarantee is questionable but worth trying. If you have your own insurance notify them as well but just to know - regular insurance doesn't work if you run Airbnb there.

If you get a bad review then you can reply to it. And please review your guest to warn other hosts not to host these idiots.

@Melinda249 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Melinda249 Yes of course you should review these guests and their outrageous behavior, with huge liberties taken and major damage caused. Be specific. Also familiarize yourself with how reviews work,

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/13

Read through the particulars of the Host Guarantee terms before proceeding with a claim. If you don’t follow it to the LETTER, you will be denied. 

Elisabet2
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Please give them the review they deserve, you need to help other hosts. That is horrible, they should have told you they needed a tray or something to protect the floor from the water. 

They won't be able to read your review and seek revenge with a bad review. You can be honest without fear. 

Melinda249
Level 1
North Bay, Canada

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Colleen253 @Elisabet2 Thank you all so much! I truly appreciate your guidance. 

I'll be fair and give them credit where it may be due but I'll be entirely honest about their failure to communicate and the damage. 

Accidents happen... But I wish they'd reached out when it happened. We live on the property and could have responded with a shop vac and dehumidifier. The damage might have been avoided. 

Thanks again!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Melinda249  you will find that the more people you host, the more you have to turn away those for whom your listing is not really a fit. Certain amenities and limits are deal breakers for guests-- lack of AC, not pet friendly, only a certain number of people allowed, etc. Yet they will book places that don't fit what they need thinking that the host won't care if they break rules or cause damage. Sometimes you have to talk people OUT of booking, rather than into it for your own sanity. These aren't necessarily bad guests, just not good guests for your particular space.

That said. I have never heard of someone traveling with their own window unit AC! In addition to being heavy, they can leak if not installed at the right angle with a drip pan.  I would review as follows:

"So and so were clean/friendly (whatever nice thing you can say). We did have some issues with communication as they tried to bypass the fact that we don't offer air conditioning by bringing their own unit. Our space was damaged as a result and so and so did not alert us. We are on site and would have been happy to help with any measures that would have mitigated the issue. We would recommend these guests only to hosts who have central air conditioning as an amenity. We advise future hosts to be sure that you review your expectations about heating/cooling and what is acceptable to install in your space in a temporary basis. Not a fit for our un-airconditioned space, but we wish them the best."

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Melinda249 

It’s just really NOT acceptable or customary to install appliances in a short term rental unit.

Even if they had installed it correctly they would have damaged the window frame. Then there’s the noise. And the cost of electricity.

I hope you get reimbursed and review them mercilessly.