Did you Ask a Superhost when you started hosting?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Did you Ask a Superhost when you started hosting?

20160727_SeasonalQ2_John_San-Francisco_Elliott_0229.jpg

Hi everyone,

Over the more recent months, we launched a new resource for new Hosts called Ask a Superhost, on your Host dashboard. This resource guides new Hosts in the listing creation and publishing process.

Here on the Community Center, we love seeing our amazing members providing tips, support and different perspectives on the hosting journey, including those early, nervous few weeks.

When you started hosting, did you try out the Ask a Superhost resource?

Please share your experience with Airbnb resources in those early stages of your hosting experience. We’d love to get your feedback on what you feel works well, or needs improvement.

Thanks,

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

I just started many years ago, the Airbnb Help files provided enough information for me.

I already rented out accommodation as a landlord, Airbnb was a way to create new business.

Became a member of this community much later and not especially because i needed help from "a superhost"

BTW It is not that easy to "ask a superhost".

First you have to find one in your area (Airbnb search) and then the only way to make contact is making an inquiry on their listing...which i can imagine is not always appreciated

Local facebook groups are an alternative resource and more easy to contact with other host.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sybe,

When I started I had no concept of a SuperHost, nor any idea what the designation was supposed to represent.  I read a lot of the current and past post in this forum, along with the Help Center and ToS.  I also called CS to ask clarification on certain items.  Back then, it was very probable to get someone who knew what they were talking about, and would share useful information.

In a way I don't think that ask a Superhost is a good forum, and promotes a laziness in gathering information.  Almost like back in the days when you could dial a number for phone number and address information for free (it was 411 in the US) instead of picking up the phone book, and looking for yourself.  Given that the majority of answers to questions posted by new hosts can be found in the Help Center or ToS, I think more should be done to highlight that those areas should be the first places to look for formal communication about Airbnb policies and how to use the host dashboard.  Secondly, they should do a search on the forum for previous discussions that may address a situational question that's not covered in ABB documentation.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks both for sharing your experiences and thoughts on this!

@Emiel1 Your experience as a landlord must have been really useful when you started hosting. Do you remember what you found you needed help with the most? It's good to hear the ressources available at the time were plentiful for you. The specific one @Sybe mentioned here is something launched last year, that makes it really easy to connect with a Superhost, you can see more here🙂

@Debra300 That's a really interesting perspective! At which stages of the hosting journey or in which places do you think those ressources, including the CC, could be highlighted better? I'm particularly interested in what you think is most useful for those starting out. 💡

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emilie

Almost five years ago @Lizzie wrote the welcome message for the Community's Help forum:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Welcome-to-Help/m-p/418385#M99944.  I don't recall recently seeing any moderator generated discussion that focuses on using the Help Center, Tips & Tutorials or reviewing the Terms of Service to get information.  Daily, there are numerous posts from new (and not new) hosts who are asking very questions about basic listing management functions and AirBnB policies, and almost none of them mention having done a search for or review of any official ABB documentation.  Hosts owe it to themselves, their properties and their guests to know how to readily find or reference ABB official information.  The CC is a good place to get clarification about the ABB information, but it shouldn't be thought of as the information "easy button" or default customer service where a person can just drop a question and wait for a response.  

I think it would be great to have a Featured Discussion about the various help resources:

- Help Center - for listing management/dashboard navigation and policy documentation in simplified language;

- ToS - official and detailed policy documentation;

- Airbnb Customer Service - for technical support, payment inquiries, and assistance with guest relations;

-  Community Center Search - search for information and guidance in previous discussions;

- Google/online search/YouTube - search for topics and how-to information that are not easily found in the Help Center or ToS - results will often direct you to a page in the HC and the ToS.

- Community Center Forums - share information about experiences, inquire about/request guidance for personal or specific hosting/guest situations.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sybe  Nope. I was not even aware of "Superhost" and was taken aback when I got the "Congratulations, you're a Superhost!" email. Nor was I aware of hosting forums. 

But a friend who was a host is the one who encouraged me to list my guest room, so she kind of gave me some tips on how the platform works.

I do think it's rather discriminatory to put forth the notion that a "Superhost" would be a person to ask for help, rather than an experienced non-Superhost. Considering that any long-standing Superhost can lose that status simply by getting a 1* revenge review from a horrible guest, that Airbnb refuses to remove.

And I would point out that thousands of Superhosts are going to lose that status come April 1st, as Airbnb has refused to reconsider the minimum stay requirement for those home-share hosts who consider their health in these times of Covid to take higher priority than generating service fees for Airbnb.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Sybe 

Great question!  We had a cottage, started renting with a local property mgmt company.  That didn't  get us anything for the 1st month in high season.  Where we live is an Airbnb 4 doors away.  After many in passing conversations, we were convinced and took the plunge.  They were and are a fantastic help and now great friends.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@M199 That's amazing that you had such great help and it even transformed into a lasting friendship! I remember you mentioned in another post that you work together with another Airbnb nearby, are those the same people?

@Sarah977 I agree there are lots of Hosts that may not have the Superhost title (anymore), whose experience is just as valuable if not more. I do hope you were positively taken aback by that email though! 😉

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen