Do I give partial refund?

Lisa5987
Level 2
Louisville, KY

Do I give partial refund?

Hi all, 

I'm fairly new to hosting and have an issue with a recent stay. This was a guest that stayed during the most lucrative time of year for airbnb where I live. I am new so was priced conservatively lower than most places in the area. At the end of the stay she mentioned the thermostat was not working (it was mid to high 70's the entire stay) and she was cold at night. I did check in that first day to tell her to let me know of any questions or concerns but there was no mention of this until checkout. She is now asking for partial refund. I was minutes away and could have resolved issue quickly if I knew there was one. Is she correct in asking for refund even though Temps were not cold and my place was priced lower? 

20 Replies 20
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lisa5987 

It is not relevant if your price was lower then others.

The guest should have mentioned the issue to you during her stay.

She did not, so you could  not resolve it. So no partial refund.

Thank you. This was my gut feeling on this too. I even offered discount on future stay. I appreciate the guidance!

Hi @Lisa5987 

Welcome to the community 😊

No, I opposed reimbursement.

@Nina75  pointing it out corresponding.

Happy Hosting ✌️

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Lisa5987 I agree with @ Emiel1. Below is the general refund policy. Have a read, so you are familiar with it.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2868/airbnb-guest-refund-policy

Thank you! Makes sense.  I appreciate the information!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa5987  I really don't agree with some hosts' tendencies to throw money at a guest for any perceived inconvenience. Many think it will avoid a bad review, but it seldom does- guests who appear to be scamming for a refund are the type of people who leave bad reviews even when you cave to their demands.

No, there is no reason to refund this guest. She could easily have asked you if the heat could be turned up and I suspect she wasn't cold if it's 70 and there were blankets provided- she is just using it to try to get money back.

If the heat were to go out entirely when it was cold out or the water heater were to go on the blink and those things couldn't be fixed right away,  that's the sort of inconvenience that warrants a partial refund.

Off-topic comment removed  - Community Center Guidelines]

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

@Lisa5987 She is trying to play you. She is taking advantage of you because she know that you are a new host. Don't let her do it. Some guests will prey upon new hosts. If she leaves a bad review talk to an Airbnb supervisor to have the review deleted.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Not great advice re the review @Nina75 . As an experienced host you will know that Airbnb will not simply delete a bad review because a host doesn't like it. Airbnb will only consider deleting a review if it perceives it breaks one of it's content terms for leaving a review. 

@Helen3 Helen3 A retaliatory review is cause for deletion.  If the Host decides not to give her a refund and then the Guests writes a retaliatory review because she didn't get the refund then there is a chance that Airbnb will delete it. 

When dealing with AirBnb anything is possible with persistence.

@Nina75  If you spend some time reading threads on this subject, it is quite evident that being able to get a revenge review deleted is the exception, not the rule, even with hosts who have been quite persistent. 

Just because we have had a certain experience with Airbnb, or with guests doesn't mean that is the general way things go.

I have never had a bad guest, a guest has never damaged anything, and I have never had a retaliatory review.

Shall I then, based on my own experience, put forth the notion that all guests are great, don't cause damages, and that no guests leave retaliation reviews?

Personal experiences and tips on dealing with various situations are wonderful to share, but assuming that all hosts have the same experience, or would, if they just did things the way we do, is false and presumptuous.

@Sarah977 **

@Helen3  can take my 9 years of Experience and thousands of bookings or she can listen **

**[Personal remarks removed - Community Center Guidelines]

@Nina75I can assure you that @Helen3  has no need to listen to me, she has been hosting for a long time and has always appeared to have her own strong views on things.

How you can characterize me saying that just because I have had a certain experience, that doesn't mean that others will have a similar experience, is making it "all about me" when that is the exact opposite of what I said, is bizarre.

Please stop with the personal attacks. Which you've already been asked to do by other posters. 

People can disagree without getting personal.

@Sarah977 Lets make a deal... Ignore me. Pleeeeeeeease!!!!  😩