External security cameras are the management companies and not working- do i need to disclose?

Answered!
Rebecca1746
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

External security cameras are the management companies and not working- do i need to disclose?

Hi,

I've had no new bookings for weeks and I wondered if it might be the security camera disclosure putting people off?  The 2 cameras high up on the outside of the building are clearly visible, they are owned by the management company and don't work  - do I  need to disclose them if they're not working? 

I only started this in June and had great bookings but they have just stopped and I've had no new booking for weeks - does anyone know why this might be? 

Also  - how do I get listed on the Historic houses tab? 

Thanks,

Rebecca

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rebecca1746 the historic houses tab only applies to historic houses in France I am afraid.

Regarding no new bookings it may be that the 'bump' you get in the search engine has now run out or you are too expensive out of high season or the recession/cost of living crisis is beginning to bite.

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

If I search on the 'historical homes' tab I get lots of results in the UK? And the 'Chalets' tab also gives lots of results in the UK ( not that i'm a chalet, I am however in a 19th Century Manor house - do you know how I get on the Historical Houses Tab)?. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rebecca1746 then they have changed the rules. The categories are determined by AI although some say you can now ring customer services and request to be put in a category. If calling them doesn't work then help the algorithm by weaving the words historic house into your description

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca1746 @Mike-And-Jane0 

There were originally only French listings in the historical homes category, but at some point, this changed. I noticed a few weeks ago that one of my listings had been added to the category, but not the other two, even though they are all in the same house!

So, I requested that all three be included in that category and also shared homes and iconic cities. CS did add all three. It's not made any difference to bookings though. If anything, my views actually went DOWN after they were added!

@Rebecca1746 

RE your other questions. I would disclose the cameras, just to be on the safe side. What you really don't want is guests trying to scam for refunds or your listing being suspended due to undisclosed cameras, even if they are not yours nor working.

Re your bookings, a lot of hosts are suffering a loss of bookings since Airbnb introduced the categories and the new search functions back in early May. However, as you were getting bookings when you started in June and those have since dropped off, it is quite possible that it's because new listings automatically get a boost in the search results for a short period of time (can't remember if it was one month or two).

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Rebecca1746  I doubt it's the cameras, we have heaps of cameras on our farm. 

I believe you do have to disclose them, even if they are not in operation. So in the info box just say exactly that: 2 cameras on building exterior, not in operation. 

As others have mentioned, there's been a bit of a drop off for some people since the new Categories Summer roll-out. Hope things improve for you! 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Rebecca1746 

I think these days most people are ok with cameras around the place, where our apartment is they are everywhere I think most people are happy there is security,

We do get asked if we have security. 

We have them on the outside of our villas mainly on the entrance and drive way.

We was asked by a guy to rent his villa and my husband went to inspect the property and there was a camera looking directly at the pool my husband told him you cannot have that you need to take it out, The guy refused so we declined his offer of renting his house out.