First guest arrested during stay

Arnetha0
Level 2
Stafford, VA

First guest arrested during stay

Hi I just started hosting this month. everything was going fine. My guest came in  at 2pm and at 11 pm the police was at my door.  They arrested her and I can get in-touch with anyone from Airbnb. She is book until Monday.  All her stuff is at my house including the car.  I need help who can I contact?  What if she is not out of jail by Monday?

7 Replies 7
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Arnetha0 

Hello

Oh my God! It is what one can call it "baptism of fire" for a host!
I am sorry for you.
I think you should contact Airbnb by phone. Have you tried it?
If she can not return by monday, I think you should store they luggage till she contact you. Or maybe, you had better phone the police and tell them that she left the lugagge and her car at your place.
I have to say it is just a personal opinion. Listen to the Airbnb advice.

To contact Airbnb go to the Help Center page and search for the phone number in your country or area.

I hope everything will be fine and returns to normal soon!

@Arnetha0   You can find phone numbers to reach Airbnb directly here:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/td-p/413245

Naturally you will have safety concerns about the guest returning to your property, so you might have to contact the police to advise on how to proceed with getting her stuff out of your way and retrieving your keys (if she was carrying them at the time of arrest).  Airbnb, for its part, can at least terminate the booking for you. If removing the guest's car and personal belongings comes at any cost to you, or you have to get the locks changed, keep receipts for everything - you might ultimately have to initiate a claim. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

So sorry to hear of this happening @Arnetha0 . Please be assured it's extremely rare for something like this to happen .

Call Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking.  I would then photograph the room with her belongings  and then her packed belongings. Ask the police if you can pack her belongings (presume they will have taken any evidence needed) . If they say yes then if you have space notify her you will store for xxx days at £ xxx per day and then itemise will be disposed of (check legalities on this in your country) 

If you gave her keys I would change the locks

Send payment request through Airbnb

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Arnetha0 

If you use Facebook message Airbnb on there with your problem. Give them the email address and phone no you have listed for your account.

I do this and have found they come back to me within an hour.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you give us an update on how you handled the situation @Arnetha0 ?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Arnetha0  wow! This is awful.

I see this more as a police situation than an ABB situation. I would call the station and state that the individual had rented your space temporarily and left a number of items there. Ask what they advise you do-- is there anything they need as evidence? I would not be comfortable touching anything for someone who is under arrest. You don't know what the arrest is for, and you don't know what could be lurking among their personal effects.

Once you have police assurance they don't need anything from the guest, I would continue to get in touch with ABB for advice. If they do not respond, I would have someone shoot video of me taking all of the guests items and storing them in a safe space. I would do the same with moving the car (if needed). I would time stamp the video and announce clearly as you are moving things ("Now I have picked up a blue duffle bag and am moving it to the shed.") Have a witness while you do this lest you be accused of theft. If you find anything suspicious as you move these items stop and call the police immediately.

This is such a scary situation. Goes to show that ABB is not "vetting" in any way, shape or form.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Arnetha0 I'm very sorry to read you are experiencing this. I'm one of the Community Managers here in the Community Centre and just came across your post. Could you please verify if you have managed to talk to Customer Service about this? I can then forward your information over to them to chase this up for you. 

Many thanks 

Nick